PDA

View Full Version : Perennial Ideas

Shuter
04-25-2003, 08:57 PM
I have a regular customer who asked me to up grade the side of the driveway by the road and wants me to use a big boulder. The rock is about 3' tall and maybe 6' across. I am planting ornamental grasses around the back side and some kind of perennial in front. Any ideas on a good flowering plant for the northeast that will get sun from mid day to dusk?? Thanks guys.

lawnstudent
04-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ffshuter
I have a regular customer who asked me to up grade the side of the driveway by the road and wants me to use a big boulder. The rock is about 3' tall and maybe 6' across. I am planting ornamental grasses around the back side and some kind of perennial in front. Any ideas on a good flowering plant for the northeast that will get sun from mid day to dusk?? Thanks guys.

What U.S.D.A. zone are you in? What are the ornamental grasses you are planting?

jim

Shuter
04-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Not sure yet for grass as I will purchase all planting materail next week. Zone is 7 - 7A

mdb landscaping
04-27-2003, 03:22 PM
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/index.html

use this site to help you narrow down your choices......it should help you out a lot i would think

lbmd1
04-27-2003, 05:13 PM
ffshutter,
We do alot of work with ornamental grasses and often use russian sage as a contrasting plant with the grasses. It's purple color offers great coloring when planted in mass grouping with ornamentals. If you need something less in height and still want the purple hue, try salvia "may night".

Mike

greenman
04-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ffshuter
Zone is 7 - 7A

?? Im in zone 7. is there more than one zone map?

Shuter
04-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Greenman, to answer your question I have seen different zones for my area from 7, 7A, and 8. I do not understand the different zone ratings for the same area, so I have no answer for that. Does not always make sense to me.

greenman
04-28-2003, 10:18 PM
I always thought MA was zone 5:confused:

Mike Bradbury
05-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Can't go wrong with Daylilies. Look great with grasses and rocks. Choices of colors, bloom for extended periods, etc

Maybe Dianthus for a lower grouping if you need it.