PDA

View Full Version : Question about organic fertilizer

XH2Oskier
04-26-2003, 01:13 AM
Last year I hired an independant landscaper to fertilize my lawn. I was concerned about the long-term effects of the chemical fertilizers used by the nationwide companies and asked specifically that he use only organic fertilizers on our lawn. When our lawn was fertilized this spring, the fertilizer appeared to be small, white dots, versus the pungent brown dots used last year, which I was told was turkey poop. I asked the workers if they were using organic fertilizer, but they didn't understand a word I said. I asked the owner and he said they were using organic fertilizer, but he was never at our house, so I'm not sure if he really knows.

Can you tell what kind of fertilizer is being used by it's appearance? Thanks!

Jim

blafleur
04-29-2003, 06:28 AM
Though I have never seen an organic fertilizer that was all white, I have used some that was pelletized in a way that looked exactly like regular fertilizer, so I think it is possible. You have a right to know what is being used on your yard, I'm sure if you asked a little more they could tell you exactly what it was. If they wont or cant, I wouldnt use them again.

Bryan

XH2Oskier
04-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks Bryan. I will probably go out there and ask to see the bag. I would be pretty upset if it turned out to be non-organic.

Dchall_San_Antonio
08-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Most ground seed based organic fertilizers are pretty light colored. When you add corn meal you start turning yellowish. If you add compost to it, it darkens up considerably.