PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Repair

lawnkid
04-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Again, I'm new to landscaping and I plan to get a turfgrass degree in college but for now I need your help. I have a customer that wants me to give her some opinions on what I can do to repair her front yard. Her yard was originally sodded like 6 or 7 years ago and ever sice then it has llooked like ****. The guy who built the house put it in and I think he might have done a bad job. Anyway, the lawn is green and weed free. I'll say that, but it like has different blends and here are some spots that grow taller than others. I'll try to get some pics if I can with my brothers digital camera by Tuesday latest. But if anyone knows the kind of grass I'm talking about that has real low and short grass and then some like lumps of grass then maybe you can help me. Thanks

MacLawnCo
04-28-2003, 12:01 AM
the tall grass patches are proably tall fescue, which is a weed. Is it a lighter green, grows fast, and has a wide blade? The low grass is probably blue grass. Have the lawn treated and specificly tell them you want the tall fescue to be treated.

lawnkid
04-29-2003, 04:12 PM
No I know what fescure is and it's not fescue. I think the lawn is bluegrass but it grows in like clumps literalli. Like most of the yard is about 2 inches tall and the othewr parts are like 3 1/4" tall. Idkj. If anyone knows what I am talking about please help out.

Scraper
04-29-2003, 04:56 PM
I have the same issue on two of my sodded lawns which were done 5-6 years ago. Treated with Acclaim yesterday hoping that it is barnyardgrass and not orchardgrass. Have yet to get a seed head to evaluate, but it has the membraneous sheath. It is in clumps like you said. My concern is that it is orchardgrass that has finally been able to break through the sod as these two properties are on old pastureland. If what you have is orchardgrass, unfortunately there is no selective control available and it is either glyphosphate or nothing. The good new is that if you keep it cut short so it can't make it to seed, it'll probably be gone in a couple years. If I am wrong about the selective herbicide issue, someone please let me know as I have been researching this like crazy the past week and have found nothing helpful.

P.S. This post may be better addressed in the fertilization forum.

lawnkid
04-30-2003, 12:29 AM
I was also just thinking or reseeding. Would this do the trick. I mean like thatchong twice, then aerating and then seeding. And then putting on a starting ferilizer.