PDA

View Full Version : What is the best drainage pipe to use?

troblandscape
04-28-2003, 12:04 PM
I heard that pvc is bad, the black corrugated is week and will cause problems down the road.

What do you use and why?

Any tips on installing.

Thanks, Hope everybody is having a great season!:dizzy:

Lombardi
04-28-2003, 02:50 PM
I use the black ADS solid, 3" or 4". Never had problems. I install an adapter on the downspout, attach the pipe and run it to the desired length. I then attach a Pop-Up on the end and bury that below grade so it can be mowed over. The top is green and is hardly noticeable. If there is grass where you are burying the pipe, I use a spade and cut into the turf about 2" deep and wider than the width of the pipe. I do this on both sides of the pipe. Then I slip the spade under the cut turf, parallel to the ground, and the sod will pop up in one piece. I then replace this sod over the buried pipe, tamp, and water. I charge $100.00 for each pipe buried up to 15' out.

BRL
04-29-2003, 12:08 AM
You could use PVC DWV pipe which is pipe made for Drains, Waste & Vents. Why, because its made for drains ;) Tips: way too many to list. If you have a specific question about a specific application then maybe I could help, and certainly others would be able to. FWIW I have installed plain PVC, corrugated ADS & DWV for drainage applications & have not discovered any problems with any of them so far.

Lombardi,
I believe that "pop up" you mention is only for water that is being pumped under pressure, not just gravity fed drainage? Maybe I'm wrong? If I am wrong that's cool to know because it could come in handy for those situations also. Its marketed for sump pumps that lead into a yard instead of a basin as far as I knew.

PAPS
04-29-2003, 02:26 AM
SDR 35 is the best drainage pipe available for use.
tip: start at the lowest point and work to the highest that way the water is always flowing away.

Mike Bradbury
05-02-2003, 12:37 AM
I've seen popups for storm drainage. Not used them, but I will.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
05-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Pop ups are used in conjuction with a perferated drain pipe, and can be used for gravity fed drainage.. When it rains and water is floing through the system the pop up s pop up and flow water out as the water flow slows down the pop up goes down and the water will then drain out the holes in the pipe so no water is sitting in the pipe to get all skanky and rancid or freeze up and crack the pipe.... If you use NDS products their website has all sorts of cad drawing s of devices in use and how to use them... Worth checking out...

AGLA
05-03-2003, 11:45 PM
It depends on what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

The black corrugated perforated pipe like ADS is going to pick up water in saturated areas and give it up to unsaturated areas. It is going to soak out as soon as it can. Sometimes you want to do this, but other times you don't. The corrugation also slows the flow to give it more time to flow out of the perforation. If it flows through the pipe faster than the soil in the trench can soak it up, it will come out the end. In some cases this spreads a problem, in others it solves a problem.

Perforated PVC has two rows of parrallel holes about 60 degrees from each other. These are designed to lay with the narrow gap between the two rows to be on the bottom. in a gravel filled trench. Once the gravel is saturated and the water rises to the holes, it flows into the holes and drops into the narrow valley between the two rows. The pipe is pitched so that the water flows down the valley and out of the pipe. The purpose is to carry water away from a saturated area and not to disperse it untill it reaches the end of the pipe. If you put the holes on top, the water will not enter the pipe untill the trench is completely saturated all the way to those holes which not only serves little purpose, but can cause the pipe to float its way up through the gravel.