PDA

View Full Version : Dandelion Control

botamower
04-28-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm new to the forum and not in the lawn care business. I have four acres with a terrible dandelion problem. Any advice on what I can do as a homeowner to control them? I don't think I can afford a professional to apply weed control to four acres.

roadking35
04-28-2003, 05:56 PM
I hope that somone will have a better idea but I've had good results with 2-4-D (ortho weed be-gone). Any product that contains this will work. You will have to spray it on mixed with water. Also it helps if it dosn't rain for at least 24 hrs. after your application. Not sure of the cost, I buy it in gallon containers, when diluted it goes a long way.
Mark

greenman
04-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Liquid for weed control is always more effective than granual, but do you have a tank to spray 4 acres? Probably not. Weed and Feed (granuals) will work but probably wont get all of the weeds. Apply it with a broadcast spreader. If the grass/weeds are damp, you will get a better control because, you see, the granual have to actually stay on the leaf(s) to be effective. If they make not contact and fall to the soil, then the weed control will not work. Fertilizer (the Feed), however, is opposite,kind of. It goes in through the soil and feeds the plants through the root system and up. Apply liquid if you can...let us know how it works out.

Catcher
04-29-2003, 08:46 AM
Well,
I've had similar problems. Taking care of 3 acres which looked more like a field than anything resembling a lawn, it took me a few years to level, re-seed etc. to have a decent looking green area.
Except that the lush green was almost overwhelmingly saturated with yellow 'flowers'.
I signed up with a fertilizer program that entailed the customary crabgrass control in the early spring as well as broadleaf and dandelion control in it's second application. I'd be willing to bet that there were no more than a dozen dandelions on the entire lawn that year (I guess I must've missed a spot). Compared to the abutting property of my neighbours the difference was more than clear.
This said, I'm doing it again this year. The granules work fine if applied properly. The results are as expected and the cost is minimal.

botamower
04-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Greenman you're right. I don't have a tank aprayer but I do have access to a broadcast spreader I can pull with my sub-compact tractor. Now the question is whether I use a weed and feed product and spread it early in the day while the grass is wet or go with something for broadleaf weed control only. I submitted a soil sample to the University of Missouri Soil Laboratory today so I should know about the fertilizer needs in a few weeks. There is a Lesco store in Kansas City. Does anyone know if they sell a granular broadleaf weed control product without a fertilizer component?

greenman
04-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by botamower
There is a Lesco store in Kansas City. Does anyone know if they sell a granular broadleaf weed control product without a fertilizer component?

I have never seen just granular weed control.

botamower
04-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advice greenman. I plan on broadcasting weed and feed in May and again in early October if necessary. Hopefully, next spring the dandelions will be significantly reduced.

GroundKprs
04-30-2003, 02:15 PM
FYI, dandelions are a winter perennial. This means they germinate mainly in the fall. When you see the flowers in the spring, you know that your application last fall was ineffective or poorly timed. Up here we start fall weed application in mid-October. Best to find the right timing for your area from your cooperative extension service.

And liquid herbicide applications are the best control. Any combo weed and feed, liquid or granular, is just a way to make it easy - two things get done at once. And as most such combos in life, usually both things get shortchanged, LOL. Right time for fert, wrong for herbicide, or vice versa. A combo product is a compromise.

KTNC
05-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Is it safe for children to be on the lawn, after being sprayed for weed control by an LCO?

Green Pastures
05-06-2003, 01:39 PM
As soon as the spray dries it's OK to be on it.

Liquid weed control is the ONLY way to go.

You will never be happy with the results from granular weed control.

Use a Pre-Emergent in the spring as well. Early in the spring and again 6-8 weeks later. Pre-Emergent is OK to be used in granular form.