PDA

View Full Version : LawnBoy having trouble with thick grass

JayC
04-29-2003, 11:40 AM
I purchased a 21" 6.5hp 2cycle LawnBoy mower to mow my lawn because my Dad has a LawnBoy he's been using for over 20 years, and it cuts so well.
Well, I realized my new LawnBoy is nothing like my Dad's old one when mine got clogged up with grass everytime I mowed my lawn. I usually mow it at a height of 3.5" and it's never wet grass. I have a brand new sharpened blade on it and have it set up to do side discharge.

One thing I noticed, if I remove the front plate, which is interchangable for mulching and side discharge, the grass has a much easir way to get out from underneath the mower. It's a safety hazzard, I know, but the discharge chute consistently gets clogged and I end up having to stop every other row to remove the clogged grass. I'm thinking, instead of removing the front deck cover, maybe if I was to cut out the bar that goes across the bottom of the side discharge chute, the grass would not get stuck and clogg up the chute. ANyone else have these problems.

I've cleaned the blade cavity completely of built up grass and it still happens. I wish I didn't buy this mower, it's been a let down.
Thanks for any help,
Jay

blaze347
05-01-2003, 10:31 AM
I had the same problems when I got my Lawnboy. Moisture and discharge are what I think the problem is. I think your grass may be wetter than it appears and this will make it clump, this problem will go away in the summer. Also, the discharge is not a good design on the Lawnboys. I fixed the problem by mulching instead of discharging and cutting as high as possible in the spring. I am not a professional, just a homeowner who had the same problem.

JayC
05-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. My troubles are over, I picked up a 36" SCAG this past weekend and the lawn is no problem for that baby!
I put a set of Gator blades on it and it mowes like a dream. I have to say that patience paid off. I've been looking for a good condition second hand 36" for about 2 years. Well, I think I found one. Runs great and starts right up for me. I'm actually excited to mow my lawn again.
I took a good look at the difference between my Dad's old LawnBoy and mine to see what the chute construction difference was. Turns out, his also has the bar across the bottom of the chute, but mine in 3 times the realestate that his is. That's why it gets clogged so easily and his does not.
His engine is starting to give him troble, but it's lasted 24 years now, that's great if you ask me. I donated mine to him. He's excited since mine is self propelled.

Thanks again,
J:)

strickdad
05-08-2003, 03:33 AM
blaze is on the right track with this, its that stupid support bar at the bottom of the discharge chut that is blocking things off.