PDA

View Full Version : A/C on Skidsteer

worthbrown
04-29-2003, 12:41 PM
I mostly use my skidsteer for grading yards with a harley rake. As many of you know it is a very hot and dusty job. I am considering getting a skidsteer with a cab and A/C. Does anyone use a machine with air? Does the a/c cause the unit to heat up? I am looking at the smaller skidsteers (50-60hp). Any opinions and comments would be appreciated.

DaddyRabbit
04-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by worthbrown
I mostly use my skidsteer for grading yards with a harley rake. As many of you know it is a very hot and dusty job. I am considering getting a skidsteer with a cab and A/C. Does anyone use a machine with air? Does the a/c cause the unit to heat up? I am looking at the smaller skidsteers (50-60hp). Any opinions and comments would be appreciated.

Sadly to say but Bobcat has the best cab and ergonomics where skid steers are concerned. I am a Cat loyalist but the Bobcat leads in this area. If you do get a cab be sure and go w/a/c, it's the only way to go, especially if you're owner/operator. The key element to avoiding trouble w/a/c and dust is to always clean your condenser which cuts down on "head pressure". After every job I always clean my equipment religiously and I don't suffer very many problems as a result.

sbecker
04-29-2003, 11:51 PM
We gave our two best Bobcat operators the option on AC on our last two Bobcat purchases. Their opinion at the time was that they would not need it and really didn't care. After one summer with the air conditioned cabs, I'm sure we will never buy another Bobcat with out air conditioning. They used to come in from a dusty day on the machine completly covered in dirt. Now with the air conditioning, look just as fresh as when they got in the machine in the morning. No loss of power with the turbo engine with the ac on.

kris
05-01-2003, 10:07 PM
In the past it has not been a problem, but the last few summers have been getting hotter... I had to shut it down a day last year when I was spreading a large amount of
topsoil ...just got too dusty and hot. The next day I put the door on because of the dust but just about died from the heat ... I could only go about 20 min before breaking ...
Having air?...hmm ...would it increase prodution or slow it down cause the guys would never get out of the machine?

worthbrown
05-06-2003, 02:32 PM
I just ordered a Bobcat S185 with A/C, will pick up tomorrow. The cab and A/C is going to be nice. Thanks for the input.

DaddyRabbit
05-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by worthbrown
I just ordered a Bobcat S185 with A/C, will pick up tomorrow. The cab and A/C is going to be nice. Thanks for the input.

Congrats on the purchase Worth, let us know how you like it. You definitely picked a nice machine.

rkk95
05-07-2003, 10:06 PM
Worthbrown, be sure to check out an ASV model RC50 we have one with a cab and a/c you can run it on existing turf without
damaging it at all. I am very impressed with it.

ksss
05-08-2003, 01:50 AM
I am on my second machine with AC (CASE 95XT) and I really like it. It adds to the cost of the machine but I think it comes back in resale. I have to disagree on the BOBCAT cabs being the best. I ran a S185 with AC and I thought the fan was weak and the location of the vents (at the bottom of the cab) didn't make a lot of sense to me. The BOBCAT cabs are better then CAT because CAT still uses cabs made by SIMS inc. which suck. When CAT does their own enclosures I am sure it will be better then they are now.

worthbrown
05-08-2003, 10:07 AM
I did like the Case, but they don't have factory a/c on the smaller units (40xt,60xt) with is more than big enough for me. The 90xt is just way too big for my needs. I really liked the ASV, but was way out of my price range. My S185 w/ a/c was $22,500 and they were the only company that offered any trade on my machine (JCB 165HF w/ peugot engine) They gave 90% of what I paid for it 3 yrs ago. All other companies would not even take on trade.
As you can see, I have already bought this machine, so this is usually when I get the most advice on why I should not have bought it. I did quite a bit of research, and for the money I wanted to spend, size machine I needed, my trade, etc., I think this was the best choice. I am not trying to justify my purchase, it just seems that whenever you are doing research on purchasing anything, I get very little response (not just here, but out in the real world also). But after I buy something, people come out of the woodwork to tell me how bad a purchase it is. I appreciate the responses I get here, because it is from people that actually use these products. Alot of the responses I get in my home town are from people that do not, or have never owned the product I am looking at. Oh, well, thanks again for your help.

Agricare1
05-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Just bought a new Bobcat A300 Turbo with A\C, Am- Fm CD and hydraulic attachment control. Not only am i not all sweaty and tired by the early afternoon, but the machine stays very clean on the inside even after Harley raking a dusty old lawn. Well worth the extra money, also it adds to the resale value of the machine when you are done with it.I believe that if you keep an employee somewhat comfortable they are more productive, although i have caught employees sitting in the truck with the A\C on during lunch wasting MY gas. Goodluck with your purchase.

Big Al

GeoffDiamond
05-10-2003, 07:43 AM
If using the ac at lunch is breaking the bank, you need to increase the profit margins.

Geoff

Agricare1
05-11-2003, 04:38 AM
Geoff

Far from "braking the bank" it's the point that they are taking advantage of your generosity by providing them with state of the art equipment, and expecting them to respect that. I guess gas and diesel is free in Maine. Grossed over 2 Million last year, the bank is fine.I was just giving my .02 cents worth to the original question, maybe you should stick to it also.
have a nice day.
BIG AL

GeoffDiamond
05-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Here is the point, the attitude of american workers is different than it was 20 years ago. If the 2 dollars they spent using your gas at lunch to keep the truck cool, keeps them happy then why are you worried about it.

They may be workers but you can treat them like they are nothing. What is so bad about turning up the ac to have a cool lunch, this will probably only increase productivity after lunch.

Geoff

ksss
05-13-2003, 02:15 AM
WORTHBROWN,

I did not want to come across like I was dogging your purchase. After spending big dollars on new iron, no one wants to hear someone run down their purchase. Your right CASE does not offer A/C on the smaller machines and Bobcat is the only other choice that I know of. I demo a Bobcat before I trade machines almost everytime (1 year to 18 months). I just have never gotten the kind of productivity or ease of operation out of them that CASE offers in its machines. But thats me, a lot of guys run Bobcat and seem happy with them. Good Luck on your new machine.