PDA

View Full Version : Tree removal pricing?

jocko1104
04-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Ok I did the search and didnt find what I was looking for.

A customer of mine wants a 40' or so tree removed from the front of her house. It doesnt seem like a big deal, cut it sown with chainsaw, run stumpgrinder, disposal, done. I have never done this before so i dont want to make any REALLY bad mistakes. Am I missing anything?

How much would be a reasonable charge?

hosejockey2002
04-29-2003, 02:03 PM
If you're not licensed or insured for tree removal, I wouldn't touch it with, well, a 40 foot tree. The penalty for error is pretty darn high and if you're not insured for it you'd be right out of business. Maybe you could sub the actual tree falling out to a tree guy and handle the stump grinding and cleanup yourself. I don't have much of an idea on the price.

fblandscape
04-29-2003, 09:35 PM
What is around it on all sides?

Where is the weight of the tree going?

If you have any obstacles around you, which are within 50 feet of the trunk of the tree... and the weight is going out that way, or you are unsure of where the weight is going... don't touch it.

GraZZmaZter
04-30-2003, 12:30 AM
no obsticles....1 saw ........ 325.00

" " ....2 saws ...... 300.00

" "....3 saws ...... 275.00

if you have a chipper, and a dumper. if not you may want to charge more.

fblandscape
04-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by GraZZmaZter
no obsticles....1 saw ........ 325.00

" " ....2 saws ...... 300.00

" "....3 saws ...... 275.00

if you have a chipper, and a dumper. if not you may want to charge more.

Can you please explain what you mean by that?

GraZZmaZter
04-30-2003, 07:08 PM
No obsticles = tree falls any direction nothing will get hit.

1 saw = 1 man running a chain saw cutting this tree down

2 saws = 2 men " " " "

and so on...

If you dont have a chipper, than its gonna be more time for you to haul all that garbage away.

And a dump truck always speeds things up.

Clear enough now?

Darryl G
04-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Jocko - If you've never cut down a tree before, a customer's property is no place to learn IMO.

mdvaden
05-01-2003, 04:41 PM
40' is maximum for me, myself. I contract larger, but I have a man that climbs for me. (much larger too - see the trunk cross-cut piece on the home page of www.mdvaden.com - that's from a 40" diameter Maple trunk - that was a 10 hour day for 4 men. It was 2/3 over a house with skylights and it was planted in the back yard.)

I learned how to accomplish a 40' tree by experience, starting with a 10' tree, then 12, then 15, and so on.

If you don't hinge it right, or if it has an undetectable lean, or if the wind blows at the wrong time, removal could have undesireable results if something was close enough for damage.

Also, have you taken a class? Or, there are printed materials - even the Husqvarna chainsaw manuals have diagrams showing how to make felling cuts. And there are videos.

Also, about 80% of my 40' trees get climbed and brought down in sections.

Don't know your state laws, But in Oregon, a license with the Construction board or the Landscape board is needed to remove a tree with a trunk diameter larger than 4".

Actually, there is nothing wrong with ground level companies contracting tree work, as long as its done right. A lot of guys hire a climbing company owner - arborist guy - to come in and get it to the ground - paying just for the climbing. They make money on the removal part.

Typically, a 40' tree, with only a few things around, takes about 1/2 to 1 hour to get on the ground. That should be worth about $100 to an arborist that is competent, but starting in business and seeking that kind of supplementary work. Just make sure they have a bond and insurance, and do a brief written agreement for the sub-contract.

landscaper3
05-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Sub it out to a tree company add 20% for profit and you can make money that day elswhere!

bastalker
05-01-2003, 10:29 PM
If you have never done this before, I would have to agree with the majority here. Sub it out to a company, and tack on a few dollars. They have the equipment, knowledge, insurance, and license. Tack on a couple of bucks for your time, and go make money elsewhere.

mdvaden
05-01-2003, 11:57 PM
I would beg to differ if you have the ability to haul the debris on several jobs. That will be worth the research, and unless you try it once or twice, you will never know.

That trunk I mentioned on our home page - that job was bid at $1700. That was very competitive in our area.

I paid the climber (and for his one man) to get it down, and chip a lot of the limbs. The rest of the wood cutting, and raking, and small branch removal - 1 heaping trailer load - I did with my one helper.

That day, I worked about 10 hours, but I cleared about $900.

So, for tacking on a mere 10% - "I beg to differ"

Just work your way up in increments, starting with a skilled man doing the climbing and dropping. Anyone can do the ground work. Just find out how the debris removal affects you. But there is good supplementary income in it for the person that wants to learn.

Some people wonder, how did I make more on a job, and the climbing guy less. A key - if they are fairly new in the industry, they also need supplementary income. So on tree removals, the bigger profit sometimes goes to who got the contract first, not who is the most skilled at tree removal.

Its like ads in the paper - the paper people say they don't make it off the huge ads, or the little, its the big and little together that gets them their bread and butter.

So with climbers, they do get their big paying jobs, but they will also take the $600 a day jobs to fill in their gaps where the other alternative may have been "0" income for the day had someone like us not called.

landscaper3
05-02-2003, 12:01 AM
10% no but 20% would be a decent amount for no time or investment. (if you are inexperianced as he mentioned this would be your best method!) If you have experiance and ALL tools including ariel lift to LOP the top GO FOR IT!!!!!!