PDA

View Full Version : small preformed pond

superman
04-29-2003, 03:43 PM
I have a small preformed pond. It's the one that came from Wal-Mart. I think it holds 80 gallons. Anyway, I installed it last year, didn't do much else with it then. This year I have emptied it, cleaned it out and refilled it with water. I put some chemicals in it to treat the tap water, then I put in two gold fish. My first question is what do I need to know to keep this thing clean and going? It has been up and going for three weeks. The fish seem fine, but the water is getting dirty and algy is building up everywhere. I would appreciate any chemical or fish advice that you could provide.

Thanks,

p.s.

I really would like to add some little sharks. Wal-Mart sells some that grow to 4 inches or so. It says that they prefer salt water but don't have to have it. Has anyone tried to raise them without the salt water?

superman
05-06-2003, 04:09 PM
:rolleyes: Hello........anybody out there?????? Does anyone look in this section of the forum? :confused:

Phishook
05-07-2003, 02:33 AM
Sorry, I've never put it a pre-formed pond.

What I do no is chemicals are not a good thing for ponds.

Try putting gold fish in it instead of sharks. They'll help controll the alge(vegitarians!). Sharks are meat eaters, even though you'd probably be feeding them pellet food.

superman
05-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Phishook, I already have a goldfish in it.

Thanks for the advice.

Green Gopher
05-07-2003, 02:59 PM
I have never put in a pre-form either,

but I am currenty putting in a larger koi pond at home. I have always read that smaller pool of water have more trouble than larger. You may never get an easy answer. If the pond is exposed to direct sun all things green grow, if you get too many fish more problems, and if you don't filter the water you get bigger problems. I would start looking at a bio-filter of some kind designed for that size. These ponds are very common so i'll bet you not alone.

good luck with the sharks.

happyturtle1984
05-11-2006, 05:03 PM
The sharks walmart sell are actually barbs and catfish so by no means meat eaters now they do need stable water conditions for the balas and the ones that look like catfish are and they will thrive in a good sized pond. :)

BSDeality
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
smaller volumes of water are less stable and will fluctuate more than a larger pond. I would add a bunch of plants to try to use up some of the Nitrogen the fish are depositing. Currently its just the algae thats using it hence the algae bloom.

Victor
05-15-2006, 01:24 AM
This is Lex Luther... I'm sorry man. I had to mess with ya. There are some good points to having a smaller pond and some bad points. The good news is the fact that properly sized components for your pond aren't going to be very expensive. The bad news is the fact that a smaller pond will be more susceptable to rapid changes in water temperature and chemistry than a bigger pond would.
Here's what I'd recommend you do to get your pond set up right. You're going to want to get a properly sized filter and pump for your pond. Look for a pump that flows roughly 50, to 80 gallons per hour. Look for a filter that's rated for a pond your size, or maybe a little larger. As far as filters go, there are fiters you can buy that have ultraviolet sterilizers built in that will not only remove the waste your fish produce, but they will also help to keep your pond clear of suspended algae. A filter like this that's sized for your pond shouldn't be too expensive either. Once your filter and pump are up and running, it will still take some time before a nitrifying bacteria colony will become established. Be patient. Don't get in a hurry to add a bunch of fish to your pond. Be sure to go about that slowly.
When you're feeding your fish, give them as much food as they can totally consume in 3, to 5 minutes.
Treat your pond water with a water conditioner to make sure chlorine and other harmful chemicals are removed and you should be off to a good start.
I'd highly recommend that you buy a book about pond-keeping. It will help answer a lot of the questions you might have.
Good luck man, I hope this helped.

Vic