PDA

View Full Version : 1acre Lawn Install Price

mklawnman
04-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Have to look over a lawn that already has topsoil at but needs to be finished spreading and then power raked so the lawn can be seeded. ITs alittle over an acre and the homeowner started putting topsoil down but I guess he just dumped it all over the yard but their still is a few big piles there. I was figuring total of 10hrs of skid steer work and seeding. So i was going to charge them $60/hr for the skid steer work and $35/hr/mn for the seeding and raking part. That should cover rental fees and still have me make money. Looking at about $700 or so total. Sound decent?? Its just a thought I did and just want to see if its high or low, but i guess it does depend on travel time on the lawn with the loader.
Any thoughts or opinions are helpful. Want to make money on this job but not make them break their backs for me on money.
Matt

Harleyman
04-29-2003, 11:34 PM
your doing that for .016 cents per square, your crazey dude. :dizzy:

mklawnman
04-30-2003, 02:07 AM
Call me crazy or whatever. This is my first time putting together an estimate with a skid steer in it. You saying $60/hr for the machine is low?? or what??? Gotta be more specific man. Critize is one thing, but do that and then help me with it. "Crazy" doesnt help me. Hey Im learning how the whole estimates on landscape work goes ok. Cut me alittle slack here.
Matt

green with envy
04-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Way too low !!! After Bobcat rental and paying for 200-300 lbs of seed how are you going to make a profit??:confused:

65hoss
04-30-2003, 09:12 AM
1 acre of what sounds like bare soil. Depending on the seed rate you plan to use, you need 500-700 lbs of seed. You need fertilizer also, plus a bobcat.

green with envy
04-30-2003, 09:22 AM
We just do Hydroseeding but for one acre with basic prep/sreading soil we would be talking around $3,500

BRL
04-30-2003, 09:43 AM
$3,500.00 is more like it with the prep work invlolved. After you prep it, sub out the seeding\fertilizing to a hydroseeding contractor to get good results and not break your back raking. You'll still make more money than your original posted estimate.

mklawnman
04-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. Ill keep that all in consideration.
Matt

mklawnman
04-30-2003, 11:03 AM
They actually said on the phone that they didnt want hydroseeding done. Just seed it and thats all. Cause of the cost factor. Basically the house is on a acre and half of land with the lawn around it. Their seems to be plenty of topsoil on the site to use. I have to go and visit with them later this afternoon to find out more. I am guessin that a starter fertilizer is a necessity in having a good looking lawn come up?? I dont have my fertilizing license to put anything down unless I'd have the homeowner put it down maybe? Do I charge them the rental fee or should I charge them by the hour for using the skid steer?
But we put a lawn in around my house a few years back with no fertilizer and it grew up and in thick really well.
Matt

bruces
04-30-2003, 11:06 AM
If you are just using fertilizer, you might not need a license. In many states, you can put down fertilizer as long as it doesn't have pesticides or herbicides in it without a license.

mklawnman
04-30-2003, 11:11 AM
What type of fertilizer are we talking about for starter lawns?? Cause I know that too much fertilizer will kill the grass. This is something that I know I'm not going to be able to go to the local hardware store and buy. Going to have to go to the fertilizer place to get some stuff as long as I dont need a license to put down this type of fertilizer. Cause I know for spraying roundup thats like a big "no no"
Matt

green with envy
04-30-2003, 11:14 AM
That's the way it is in Michigan, fertilizer. only no license required..

If I were bidding it I would figure out how many hours it would take me plus the bobcat rental and other costs and lump it together...

I would put down a starter fertilizer !!

green with envy
04-30-2003, 11:18 AM
I use a 16-45-7 starter fertilizer

something like that should not be too hard to find.

Is there a lesco in your area??

mklawnman
04-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Theres something similar to that in the area called Spring Valley. Randy Scott goes there to get his fertilizer and its close by so if I need to I'll go get it from there.
FOr the seed what type of spreader should I use, drop spreader or can I use the fertilize spreader for that as well??
Matt

LawnsRUsInc.
04-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Whats up matt yea our area is charging more that 60 an hour for skid steer/operator. and your going to use about 300 lbs per acre for seed. Also a 1 acre yard is going to take you longer that 10 hours. the way you came up with 700 dollars was just $10x 10 hours for your helper and $60x 10. I would have to say plan on using the loader there for two days. Plus if you have to truck in soil or haul off rocks. I did one job this spring like that and it will be my last for a couple years. Not as profitable in my eyes i can go out and lay walls or patios and make 20-$25 per sq ft. Make sure you really want to get into it.
Jason

mklawnman
04-30-2003, 07:04 PM
I didnt go and look it over this afternoon because it was very wet out and muddy. But I did drive by it yesturday and looked it over. No soil is needed, they have plenty there. My thought is to put my man hours together, materials(seed and starter fertilizer) plus markup, and also rental fees. IT's 165/day for a JD 260 and 125/day for a Power Rake. I've been told seed costs about $60/25lbs bag its a premium seed.
Basically I have to show up with seed and starter fertilizer and the skid steer and go at it. I will be the only one working at the site. So yeah at least two days.
Thanks
Matt

mklawnman
05-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Well it looks like for moving the dirt around and leveling it will take about a day and half, then about another day and a half to power rake the lawn and seed it. So I plan on putting the rental cost in, my hourly rate in and materials with markup. Man hours might just be me, but maybe my dad might work with me on this job as well so I'll have to add that into the equation as well.
Now I can easily see why it's going to be over $1000 easily. Problem is they want it done ASAP, and I already told them that the earliest I could get at it is late next week almost into the following week, if they start complaining about that they can't wait that long then Ill just tell them that it's going to be hard to get someone in there right away because all landscapers have schedules that they are working on and just cant drop everything they are doing to go do this one lawn install. So we will see, have to call them tonight once I get all the numbers added up.
Matt

green with envy
05-01-2003, 01:52 PM
They sound like a pain !!! They want it FAST, CHEAP and DONE RIGHT

They can pick two !!!!:blush:

Mike Bradbury
05-01-2003, 11:09 PM
I use triple 19 for starter fert. 7.45 per 50lb at ag supply house. (contractor price)
At 3/4 lb per 1000 that's only a tad over 3 bags for an acre.
Variety of seed and it's application rate can affect your cost of course! Don't forget the cost of 40 bales of straw!
A tractor with a rennovator would level, fill, pulverize and seed that all in less time than you'd spend power raking it. I'd buy, beg, or borrow one. Make it an easy 2 day job, (strawing being the worst part)

mklawnman
05-01-2003, 11:25 PM
Tractor with a renovator??? never heard of it?? Is it like a Power Rake??? The job itself looks like a day with getting the piles spread about the lawn, then another day power raking, then maybe the end of that day into the next of seeding, fertlizing and then the hard part of putting all that straw down. Dont know how many bales I'll need?? anyone know what size of bale gets me for square foot or acre???
The lady said her husband has a few other estimates as well so theres a good chance that if I dont come in with a good bid or a too high of bid I'm out. Wouldnt be the worst but we will see.
Matt

Mike Bradbury
05-01-2003, 11:34 PM
http://woodsonline.com/ "Super Rennovater"

Pulverizer (roller with solid tines) and seed box. Does a fabulous job of leveling and prepping. Seeds with no loss to wind and buries most of the seed as well.

1 bale per 1,000 sq' with variation of bale size of course. Most folks put it down way too heavily.

green with envy
05-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Make sure you price the job so you make money.

If not let someone else do it and lose money!!!

I feel there are some jobs we DONT want to get !!!

mklawnman
05-02-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm figuring with some numbers given on the other page of about $2,500total. Some of the soil has been dumped already in the front and side lawn so its about 1acre exact for the moving of dirt and prep work. Figure 2days worth of the loader and 1day for seed, fert and straw. Looking like it will just be me doing the work. So for that size of lawn probably at least 6bales of straw then??
The price for 3days of skid steer rental is about $900 which includes a power rake. I tried looking for that tractor but the rental places dont have that, they have a Kubota with a power rake behind. So I'm going to stick with something I know how to use JD 250.
Matt

Robert T
05-06-2003, 02:01 AM
In my area you can get as high as 8.5 cents/ sqft. to fine grade and seed a lawn. I work for a builder for 7 cents/ sq.
If you have piles of dirt, that would be rough grade and a loader would run around 650/day with operator to set rough grade.

Bob

philk17088
05-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by mklawnman
They actually said on the phone that they didnt want hydroseeding done. Just seed it and thats all. Cause of the cost factor. Basically the house is on a acre and half of land with the lawn around it. Their seems to be plenty of topsoil on the site to use. I have to go and visit with them later this afternoon to find out more.
Matt

BE CAREFUL!
Make sure everybody is clear on what you will do. If you bust your hump doing a bare ground seeding and a thunderstorm comes up and washes 2/3's of it away who's responsible? Price for going back and touching up any areas that don't come up. Price for every conceivable scenario so you are covered.
Good Luck!

greenngrow
05-06-2003, 01:30 PM
I charge $45.00 per hour for tractor work. I charge $65.00 K for seeding and strawing. In that $65.00 I figure 2 hours prep work any more that this then it is the per hour charge.

Mike Bradbury
05-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Robert T
In my area you can get as high as 8.5 cents/ sqft. to fine grade and seed a lawn. I work for a builder for 7 cents/ sq.
If you have piles of dirt, that would be rough grade and a loader would run around 650/day with operator to set rough grade.

Bob

Hey Bob,
I do installs too in the Fort. How is your builder in paying? What size are you putting in? I talked to a couple guys last year that said they weren't winning bids of .05 sq' for builders! I'm staying busy with residentials mostly, some sub work, mostly commercial. Got scared off trying to hook up with a developer after the .05 stories. .07 would be cool for a steady gig.