PDA

View Full Version : Wash-out for a driveway?

mikeklein
04-30-2003, 08:25 PM
I dont know if I am posting this on the right board or not,but we are planning on putting down a wrap around driveway/road from the road to the back of the house,it will be 160'X12'.We had originally planned to use crushed gravel,but at $13.per bobcat scoop,that would get pricey.I then heard about "wash-out" some byproduct of making concrete.The local concrete companies give this stuff away for FREE,just for hauling it off for them.We plan to get two tri-axle dump truck loads.Has anyone worked with this stuff?Worth it or stick to crushed gravel.thanks for your time.------MikeK.

Arnold
04-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Around here we use a crushed granite type stuff called Road Base
and it works real well.

capital
04-30-2003, 11:36 PM
I think u need to call a gravel quarrie, and tell them u need clean 1-2" crushed road stone, and tell them 2 dump trucks of up to 17 tons, if u lucky the driver will be good and he will be able to spread it for u off his truck as he dumps.

hosejockey2002
05-01-2003, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure exactly what "wash-out" is but is sounds like maybe it's the "dregs" that are washed out of a cement truck. If so, this would consist of small washed aggregrate (rock), sand and cement. I don't think it would make good driveway base. The washed aggregrate is somewhat smooth and rounded and will not bind together with the other materials in the mix. Stick with a crushed rock. Around here road base is 5/8" minus crushed rock, which is crushed gravel ranging in size from 5/8" all the way down to sand particles. It's these smaller fine particles that allow the mix to bind and crush down into a nice firm driveable surface. The best way to do it (IMHO) is have the road base spread at least 4" thick and compacted. Then have 1 1/4" minus crushed rock applied over it. You can also have the 1 1/4" dumped without the road base, but it will take some time for the gravel to settle before you have a good driveable surface. But then again, I've never seen this "wash-out". If it does have angular and not rounded aggregrate, it might make decent road base.

mxrdrvr3
05-01-2003, 08:09 AM
:eek: I drive a cement mixer here in the Detroit area and WOULD NEVER EVEN RECOMMEND TO MY WORST ENEMY THAT THEY USE THE WASHOUT!!!!!!!!!! First of all it will not hold up!
Second its considered hazardous waste because of all the lime in it (from the limestone used in concrete) thats why they give it to you!!!!! DONT GET IT SPEND THE MONEY AND GET THE CRUSHED STONE OR WHATS CALLED A 60/40 MIX (CRUSHED STONE AND SAND)

LawnGuy73
05-01-2003, 09:27 AM
We use 3/4 minusaround here, works great..

NYRookie
05-01-2003, 05:22 PM
I always use rubble or crusher run, same stuff different names. It has 3/4" limestone down to fine stone and dust. It bonds good and compacts good because it is of all different size material.

NCSULandscaper
05-05-2003, 11:24 PM
We mainly use a 3/4" wash granite for driveways. Since we live near several quarries we get it pretty cheap. Usually $150 a tandom truck load which goes a long way.

Cheese burger
05-05-2003, 11:55 PM
I have wash out on the yard where I store my equipment. It was very difficult to spread. I couldn't get traction in the stuff. Also It had alot of chunks bigger than a basket ball mixed in that I had to push to the side then haul-off. Now that it on the ground and spread it doing ok about like crushed granite.
Also you shouldn't have to pay for trucking to your location. Local concrete company brought me ten loads the first day for free and they kept calling for a month to see if I would take any more.

Dave

UGA
05-07-2003, 10:29 AM
the most and works quite well. As my former brother-in-law manages our county road dept. I picked his brain about this before recovering my driveway (out in the country) last year. It has held up very well and after 2 springs (and pramitol) I rarely see weeds growing up anymore. The fine powder that is mixed in with the rock acts like concrete when it hardens while bonding with the rock. Kind of a poor mans aggregate.

JimLewis
05-14-2003, 02:46 AM
We use 3/4 minus around here, works great.. Same here. And it's cheap as heck!

mikeklein
05-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Well I brought a pickup truck load of washout home,just to see how it would work,laid it down and went over it with a plate compactor,it rained alot that day,but once it sat out in full sun for about a day,the stuff was solid,it should work really well,next spring I will add a thin layer of actual crushed rock on top though.Thanks to all that replied.

deere ZTR
06-17-2003, 01:46 PM
around here the best way to do a drive is to put down a 2" base and then go over that with what is called CA9 road rock, has lime in it for compaction and the rock is around 1" or a little smaller works great.

And yes any dump truck driver thats worth a **** should be able to do a pretty good job of spreading then you could dress it up with a skid steer or tractor and blade works best

deere ZTR
06-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Oh yes I would never use a left over concrete product for a customer job. Dont be cheap buy the rock and do it right!!!

ffemt1271
06-17-2003, 01:53 PM
i have a driveway made out of "washout" it's about 800' long and has been there for about 5 years. only have to patch a spot every now and then. just go and dump some more washout in the hole and run over it a few times. had a truck/trailer weighing about 30 tons drive down it without tearing it up.