PDA

View Full Version : Can you autofill invoices in Quickbooks??

KenH
05-01-2003, 09:08 PM
I run quickbooks pro, 2002, and was wondering if there was a way to have qbooks 'recognize' a transaction for a certain customer and fill in the appropriate price?? For example, if I mow Mr. X for 35$, I pull up the pending invoice to add another cut, is there a way to automatically fill in that 35$?? of course it would be different amounts for different customers. Thanks

Ken

Mueller Landscape Inc
05-01-2003, 09:23 PM
It's been awhile, but I believe you can set up "items" that have a set value or price.

BRL
05-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Yep, use the Items as mentioned. Set up anything you want. An example could be Item 35. When you click 35 QB can automatically type out "Mow & trim lawn" and automatically fill in the price at $35.00. Set up Item 30 for $30.00 etc. etc.

lawnMaster5000
05-01-2003, 11:51 PM
BRL has a good idea there, but as i have said in the past i like my way better.

As it is a lot easier to remember a clients name than it is their mowing price i use "mowMrX" as my item name and charge $35 for that Item.

For a different client I will enter Item: "mowmarquart" and charge $26 for that service item. it is then a lot easier to go back at the end of the year to see how many "mowmarquart"s i sold for that year.

just type the item name into the invoice (or better yet statement charges - search for more info) and then select to set up item.

nlminc
05-02-2003, 01:29 AM
I understand how to auto fill like you guys do, but you still have to add a date each time the service was completed right? Then you are back to tedious data entry.

I had started filling in Items like this......

Item: 4WKS45/180: and it would read....Lawn serviced 4 weeks in May
Item: 5WKS40/200: " "Lawn serviced 5 Weeks in September

Made my billling go a whole lot faster than entering every weekly date.

KenH
05-02-2003, 03:48 AM
When you enter the items as discussed aboved, how do they show up on the invoice so it doesnt confuse the customer or look unprofessional??

For example, If I put MowMRx, this item will show up as "MowMRx" on the invoice instead of "Lawn Maintenance" for example. Right??

Thanks

Fine Lines Lawn
05-02-2003, 06:58 AM
I create an estimate for all jobs. Then when creating weekly invoices, QB asks me if I want to create an invoice from the estimate and I click okay. That way I get an updated but duplicate invoice every week.

BRL
05-02-2003, 11:38 AM
As always stated, the great thing about QB is it's very customizable & can fit most people's needs & methods. LM5000, if that works for you great. I will just give a couple of reasons why I wouldn't do it that way. First off all of my billing for lawn maintenance is done by the total contract price divided into equal monthly payments. So right there I've avoided all of these questions brought up in this thread. I have 1 Item for each of my lawn customers with a different monthly price that says "Monthly Installment for Lawn maintenance Services".

But if I was still billing per cut, one reason I would not do it LM5000's way because of what KenH posted. Plus doing that way adds more work, and the last thing I need is more office work. :nono: Let's say you have 100 mowing customers. You will now be adding 100 items to your item list, when you've already had to enter those 100 customers into your Customer base. Now I'd be willing to bet that you have many $35.00 cuts, many $30.00 cuts, many $38.00 cuts out of those 100 customers for example, not a unique price for each one. So by setting an Item with the price, you will be using that Item for multiple customers, saving time & effort. You can generate all kinds of customized reports with QB & you will be able to generate a report that shows exactly what you did for each customer at the end of the year with out using the Items report. Now if you have to enter the date for each of those mowings, I'd do what nlminc posted I guess to save time.