PDA

View Full Version : umm hello?

jocko1104
05-04-2003, 11:37 AM
I use the service directory in the local paper to sub out a variety of work that I come across; pressure washing, Mason, tree service, decks and fences, etc.

I am always amazed that when I place the call I am answered by "umm hello?" about 70% of the time. Why do people still do this?

I guess that I am just ranting but to any lurkers out there considering how to obtain the professional image start with a dedicated phone line or even a line that has a different ring so that you can let the people calling know that they are speaking to a business.

Quick story

Called an ad and after the "umm hello?" I asked if this was the tree service. The gravely voiced lady proceeded to yell across the house "Harold!!!!!!! THE PHONE!!!!!" I politely informed him that I was calling to sub some tree work but I thought that It would be best to call elsewhere.

How do you answer your business phone?
Are you a professional or a yard boy?

Gene $immons
05-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Excellent post.

When answering the phone, A clear and intelligent sounding voice can go a long way to impress a potential new customer.

An example way to correctly answer the phone:

"Frank's lawn care, Frank speaking"

OR

"This is Billy, How may I help you"

walker-talker
05-04-2003, 07:11 PM
I use one phone line and usually answer "Progressive Lawn & Landscape". I try to determine by looking at the caller ID to see if it a customer or not. I have considered a seperate line, but all my advertisements are using my home phone. Also, just not busy enough to pay for the extra $40 a month for a seperate line.

MATT

jocko1104
05-05-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure if it was a mistake or not but last year I purchased a "business" line mostly because I thought that I had to. Long story short 2 out of every 5 class were some telemarketer. Apparently the phone company feels that it is THEIR # and the will sell it and your info to anyone they please.

This year I ditched that and went with Nextel. Same price and completely mobile.

cos
05-05-2003, 01:50 PM
That's too funny. "HAROLD!!!!! THE PHONE!!!" He probably had to set his beer down and get off the lazy boy. I can only imagine the response he gave. "Yeah, I do tree work occasionally"

jocko1104
05-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Im glad someone else thinks that this is funny.

CO.d 502nd
05-05-2003, 04:24 PM
I answer firm and clear and since my last name is part of my biz name ,i say first thing my last name or the whole biz name either and or.
I let my wife do most of phone answering though ,people are impressed by her italian accent.

GraZZmaZter
05-05-2003, 10:59 PM
I used to answer my bus line " Lawnpro, can i help you" and my cell " This is Tom "

Now that i have call forwarding to my cell, if i dont recongnize the number, i answer " Lawnpro, can i help you " Still answer shop phone the same.

Navig8r
05-07-2003, 10:41 PM
I only use one line..... my cell phone....... If I don't know the # on the caller ID, I always will answer "Good Morning/Afternoon, Picture Perfect"............... Seems to be received pretty well by customers... also have business message on the Voice Mail....... I DO NOT answer the line to an unknown # on Sunday or late in afternoon/evening...... I want people to realize they are calling a business, I don't want to "train" them that I will always be available 24/7........... LEAVE A MESSAGE!

LakeCountry
05-14-2003, 11:31 PM
It's amazing how unprofessional some of the lco's and other contractors for that matter are. We have a lot of very wealthy folks up here that would give you business just based on you calling them back....

Amazing how simple that is and not everyone does it...

gogetter
05-15-2003, 12:11 AM
Seperate biz line. Forwards to cell phone when I'm not home.

Always answer the same "Makin' The Cut, this is Jon".

Let it Grow
05-15-2003, 03:00 AM
YES, if you sound and look proffesional you will automatically stand out...at least where I'm from! It makes me feel great to look out at my equip, and overall business, and be proud of what I see...VERY satisfying!