PDA

View Full Version : Response time to fliers?

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care
05-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Last week I put out my first 15 fliers, and I know that is not nearly enough to really expect a response. My targets were in a new subdivision that every house is under a year old, and the residents have been living there for much less. There lawns did not appear to be mowed at all this year(were about 8 to 10 inches tall) so I thought it was a good prospect. I put a lot of effort into my flyers, full color fresh off the ink-jet, and look very professional in my opinion. I put them in those clear door hanger bags that I ordered, and since I just got off of my current full-time job, I was burning daylight, and couldn't walk up to the doors. I was also extremley unpresentable, swetty, covered in sawdust, and smelled funny. I hung them on the stand-alone mailboxes, or put them in the newspaper slot if it wasn't obstructed by a newspaper. I understand it is illegal to put them in the actual mailbox, or the mailman has the right to remove it. My question is, if they haven't responded in the first few days, should I assume that they are not interested?

roscioli
05-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Nail them again, and hit up another 1500 for a good response. How many customers do you want?

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care
05-04-2003, 11:04 PM
As many as I can get! I really want this to work, want to go full time, and know it will take a lot of hard work to get there. I would like to get 50 or 60 lawns, I think that I can handle that many alone.

MacLawnCo
05-04-2003, 11:08 PM
If their lawns look like they need it, then GO TALK to them. dont wait for them to call you, beat their door down. If its only 8-10" now, its probably been mowed already...lol. Most of mine grow that much in a week.

gogetter
05-05-2003, 03:24 AM
I've got calls about 3 weeks after putting flyers out. I've heard others here say they get called the following year from flyers.

But if you want to go full time and want 50-60 customers, you REALLY need to get several thousand flyers out there! You'll be lucky if you get even one call from 15 flyers.

Good luck though.

Firefighter Dave
05-05-2003, 08:34 AM
Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

I read somewhere on here a while back that fliers will only get you aprox. 1-2 % response. This year I put out aprox. 100-150 fliers and only three calls.... I am happy with that, one because I canvased the areas I wanted and two, these now have paid for my flyer cost.

Good Luck,

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

roscioli
05-05-2003, 08:37 AM
For 50 clients I say you would have to put out about 25,000 fliers. No joke... thats been my return lately. That is putting them in the newspaper, having your local paper deliver them for you on a charge per thousand. For some crazy reason, when I put them into newspaper boxes myself, I get a better return, about 1-2%, maybe its cause the client sees the flier standing alone? I dont know... PM me if you want more info.

scott's turf
05-05-2003, 09:23 AM
I just recently put a flier in our local free paper that is distributed to around 5700 residents. So far I have recieved about 25 calls. From those calls we have received about 9 weekly mowing customers and around 6 clean-ups. The flier was put out a little over a week ago and still getting about 2 calls per day. I am not thrilled with the results but hopefully this new customer base will generate more word of mouth referals.

Green Pastures
05-05-2003, 10:36 AM
I've averaged 1% call backs from fliers. If you want business you need to put out 1500 fliers NOT 15.

Terry Somers
05-05-2003, 01:48 PM
My Wife stays home during the day and when She takes the baby for a walk She put fliers on mailbox flags or in between sceen doors. I would say She has handed out 100 fliers. I have gotten 3 jobs. One is a stone job, the other two are clean-ups, hedge trimming and weekly lawn care.

Ajays
05-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Flyers are all about numbers... you have to pass out thousands. You can get a thousand at Kinkos for 50$ and by yourself in your car or truck, drive on the wrong side of the road in residential neighborhoods, fold them, and stick them behind the flag on the mailbox and you can pass out about 1000 in 5-6 hours. When I do this my usual response is about 10 calls per 1000 and usually 5-6 new clients. What do you think? 5-6 hours of driving plus gas and $50 in materials for 5-6 new weeklys... is it worth it. Darn straight it is! You can do it at night, or any time of day, whatever. Usually all of your calls are going to be in the first 3 days after. Make sure you pass them out all in one area so you reduce your travel time.

walker-talker
05-05-2003, 09:13 PM
I passed out about 1200 door hangers in a newer neighborhood....got 3 calls and all one time jobs.

Passed out 800 in a well established neighborhood and got about 12 calls, 3 being weekly mowings.

Total 15 calls and landed 14. Received 90% of calls within the first week.

Passed out 1600 doorhangers at cooking show that came to town (actually a local radio station passed them out at the show for me). That was 4 days ago and have received 0 calls.

I have discovered if you list your services with any advertisments you will do much better.

Good luck
MATT

Gr grass n Hi tides
05-05-2003, 10:38 PM
I just posted another thread - got two new accounts today THREE WEEKS after doing door hangers in a neighborhood.

The lady called me & said she wanted an estimate on her lawn and her mother-in-law's right across the street. This is a sweet situation. Beautiful properties right next door to one another.

tiedeman
05-11-2003, 12:46 AM
I would personally go door to door and introduce yourself and tell them..." I am Joe Blow from Joe Blow Lawn Care. I recently placed an ad on your property a few days ago and I was wondering whether or not you had any questions or comments about our services that we offer."

That is a good way to start up the conversation and if they need something they would say, "Hey, I have a question about this area over here, what can you do about it."

Its a good way for the potential customer to get to know you before they decide on your service instead of just doing it cold turkey.

Georgiehopper
05-12-2003, 11:17 AM
I do 400 flyers at a time... and get calls within a few days or as long as 6 months later. Be persistent

scott's turf
05-12-2003, 01:36 PM
tiedeman. That is all weel and good if you are targetting a small neighborhood with only a few houses but beyond that you are talking a major length of time with that approach.

dobehap
05-12-2003, 04:38 PM
I passed out about 700 in one night, hung them on the mailbox flag.

Got about 20 calls. 4 one time, 14 weekly, 2 by-weekly. Most of the calls came in the first week. Last one came in about a month later.
Almost 3% response.
I feel blessed. :blob1: