PDA

View Full Version : New Homeowner

Turkey Toes
05-05-2003, 01:35 PM
I will be moving into a new neighborhood that does not allow dumping clippings in common areas and I have no desire to compost. I am looking for an inexpensive self-propelled mulching/bagging mower to get me through the next couple of years until my budget increases. What do you feel is the best mower for $300 or less. I only have a quarter acre that goes from gently sloping to very steep. The options that I have come up with so far are:

Toro Recycler (20016) 6.5HP GTS, vari speed fwd, High wheel, 22"

Troy-Bilt Tuff Cut 210 6.5HP Briggs & Stratton Quantum, single speed fwd, 21"

Craftsman
37849 6.75 B&S, vari speed fwd, High wheel, 21"
37864 7.00 B&S OHV, vari speed fwd, 21"

All of the above are listed for $299 and are available locally. Are there any others that I should be considering? Thanks for your help.

Mike

BigDave
05-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Of the options you listed, I would go with the Toro.

Other options are LawnBoy, Honda, and John Deere; all sold at Home Depot.

I have a LawnBoy, and I like the fact that I never need to change the oil. Honda makes the best small engines (this is almost undisputed). I have no experience with Deere lawn mowers, but they are rated highly by Consumer Reports.

skinnyd
05-05-2003, 07:53 PM
I have had good luck with Toro two stroke mowers. I myself prefer them with rear drive wheels. Just my preferance though.

I am sure any of them would work well.

How much of a hill are you dealing with?

Turkey Toes
05-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all of the info. The hill isn't all that long (probably 60ft x 70 ft) but it is over 65 degrees. I plan to plant something on it to avoid having to cut it, but we aren't closing on it until the 23rd and my wife has a scheduled C-section on June 5th. I will probably just end up going at it with the weed wacker at first, but it would be nice to get something that can reasonably make it half way. Thanks again for your input. Mike