PDA

View Full Version : Walk Behind Recommendations?

BigTwoHearted
05-05-2003, 09:31 PM
The time has come to replace my overworked and oft abused JD rider. A walk behind with a sulky just seems to make sense to me. From what I've read in the posts, Gravely, Hustler, Exmark, Scag, and Lesco seem to be the big 5. I know nothing about the aforementioned, and the closest thing to me resembling a serious dealership sells Deere. The only thing I am sold on is a Kawasaki engine: this is a must-have for me, as I could not kill the last one I had no matter how I tried.

Anyone care to offer an opinion as to the best choice in a walk behind for heavy duty residential and occasional weekend commerical use?

Many thanks,

BTH

Doogiegh
05-05-2003, 09:43 PM
Welcome.

Try doing a search, you'll find many threads on this.

The Exmark Metro is a great machine in the walk-behind format that will do the job without totally killing your bank account. I also had a JD rider. I sold that and got a Metro 32" (which was only 4 inches wider than the 28" JD I was using) and it cut my time down incredibly.

If you are going to be using the machine ALOT, then you may want to look at a hydralic drive system such as the Exmark Turf Tracer. The Metro is belt driven and yes, the belt can slip if you are mowing when it is very very wet or in the rain.. But for a hydro, it is significantly more expensive, although many say they get signifigantly more production out of the machine.

You will get many replies on the brand to buy, all make commercial machines that someone on here uses, and loves or hates. One consideration is the dealer reputation as if the machine you decide to buy is the 'cheapest' but when it breaks, you're dealer takes 2 weeks for parts.... that might not be the best situation for you.

Gary

Doc Pete
05-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Since you haven't been brainwashed by the " pistol grip" crowd yet, go find a Hustler dealer and try their "Kaw" powered WB. After you try the H bar steering, you'll just laugh at anything else. And please note, their machine is one of the lower priced machines.
Pete

BigTwoHearted
05-05-2003, 10:53 PM
I appreciate the input. Obviously, there is indeed a high degree of brand/machine loyalty. And understandably so. I've all but narrowed my choices to Hustler and Gravely. While the local John Deere people are really great guys to work with, I am not entirely sold on their WB machines. That is, I think my hard-earned money could be better spent (invested?) on a "real" mower.

I found plenty of Gravely info, but I've had no luck whatsoever finding prices for the Hustler WBs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

BTH