PDA

View Full Version : How do you price a stone Job

bender
05-06-2003, 09:13 AM
This will be my first major stone job. I will be putting dowm 3/4 blue crushed stone. Do you have to take all of the existing grass up or can you spray Round UP? How do you guys generally quote a job like this?

Grass removal (Prep)
Fabric
Stone

If anybody can please help me, I's appreciate it. I need to get an estimate together for tonight.

Yesterday I took all the dimensions.

Kurt

Ground Master
05-06-2003, 09:44 AM
how big an area are you doing?

I usually rent a sod cutter, set in on the lowest setting so that it will cut cut out at least 2" of sod. if your stone is up against a driveway or sidewalk, try to get the grade down to 3" below those surfaces so the stone has a solid edge. This will help prevent stone from constantly getting on to driveway and/or sidewalk.

bender
05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
The area is around 1,500 Sq Ft. How do I charge for the varies tasks?

Rate for using the sod cutter? (Rental Fee + Labor)?

Rate for laying the stone? (I have no idea)

NYRookie
05-06-2003, 10:33 AM
I use my tractor to cut out the sod, then use it to spread the stone.
I usually charge 1.5 times the cost of material to spread it. ex. stone cost $100, I will lay it for another $150. If I have to remove sod I figure $50/hour.
I always use fabric on a new install. Cost, plus my time to pick it up.
If you are not having the stone tailgate spread, how are you going to spread it? You may think about renting a tractor or skidsteer. Sure does save your back.
1 ton of stone covers app. 100 sq ft 2" deep.

bender
05-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys... the only other thing is... How much or how do you charge for installing a border for the stone. Lets say 60 Ft. of 12" Belgian Block.

NYRookie
05-06-2003, 10:35 PM
If this is your first time, I would just figure the stone price and times it by 2-3. Then you will be able to figure out how long it took you for future reference. Don't forget to at least handtamp under the border before you lay it,then it won't move as easily.

bobbygedd
05-07-2003, 01:57 AM
ny rookie, so if im understanding this pricing formula, 3 ton of red stone costs u say $90, u will provide the labor for $135, so the total cost of the job, to the consumer is $225, for the 3 ton, installed?

NYRookie
05-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Bobbygedd,

If I have to haul the topsoil away or there is an obstacle course there, I will charge more. For instance, I just put in a 30' by 30' rubble parking area for my cousin. The cost of the stone and fabric was about $200. I charged him $400, $200 labor, $200 material. I did it all in less than 3 hours. Not bad money. If it is for someone that is not a regular customer, I will charge more. Do you think that I charge too much or too little? Let me know so I can adjust accordingly.

bobbygedd
05-08-2003, 03:51 PM
our price for 3/4 or smaller stone is $135 per ton, picked up, delivered, and installed. for 1.5 inch stone, its $150. thats if the sight is "accesible". if its not, we charge more. weed barrier and bed edging, not included.