PDA

View Full Version : quick ID needed

mikesjumpingin
05-07-2003, 10:49 AM
What is the fungus that is lumpy and clumpy and explodes with pollen when you kick it?

I was told by my Lesco rep that it may be artillary fungus but I checked on-line for a picture and it's not the right identification.

It is growing in my customer's landscape bed. I noticed, through searching on-line, that double-shredded wood mulch has been causing problems for landscapers. Bark mulch or stone/pebbles recommended to deter fungus.

I found a likely cause to the problem, the mulch was crusted and trapping moist air beneath it. I broke it up and cut back some shrubs near the problem area. Anything else I can do for treatment or prevention?

And can anyone ID this stuff so I can tell my customer what it is, and that I was wrong about "artillary fungus".

Thanks!

MIKE

strickdad
05-08-2003, 01:04 PM
im sure what it is, but bayleton is your answer..

mdb landscaping
05-08-2003, 03:25 PM
are you talking about the fungus that has small little sphere shaped dust sacs, and when you step on them, they smoke?

mikesjumpingin
05-09-2003, 11:02 PM
They smoke when you step on them -- yes. When i was a kid, there was a type that we'd find and throw like hand grenades.

These are similar, but they are in clusters.

I will do search for Bayleton.

Thanks,

Mike

Georgiehopper
05-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Artillery fungus is not like that...the fruiting bodies are actually difficult to see unless you stoop down. They are small nodes sticking up out of the mulch and even the breeze will cause them to eject their highly sticky and tar-like spores. These spores adhere to everything and are especially noticeable on the sides of houses and appear as small round black tar spots. These tar spots are difficult if not impossible to clean off of surfaces.

The fungus you're describing sounds more like what I call "dog vomit" fungus which is white and globby looking. There are other types as well, but none of them produce the annoying types of spores that the artillery fungus does.

Most of the other fungus types look bad and cause concern for your customers. I just remove them from the mulch.

Lanelle
05-12-2003, 01:27 AM
That 'dog vomit' fungus on mulch goes through a couple of stages, each with a distinctive look. At first it is a bright yellow that dulls and finally turns a powdery dark brown. At that brown stage, it is easy to kick up clouds of 'dust' when walking on it. I've always been told that it is not harmful---just disgusting looking. If you have a sample of the fungus in question, go to your county extension office and get it ID'd there.