PDA

View Full Version : Cost to install 6ft white pines ?

GarPA
05-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Have been getting lowballed lately too often on small landscaping jobs. Rarely have I had that problem in my area but its happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks...assuming the prospects are telling me the truth.

Bidding in installing 15 6 ft white pines in burlap. Trees will be delivered to common area in entrance to new development. I am not involved in purchasing the trees since the homeowner assoc. bought them.....I'm thinking no less than $900. (the ground there is ugly...allot of clay and small rock...mostly fill..from years ago)..What would you bid on this? thanks much...

(soil amendments also supplied by homeowner assoc.) Trees will not be staked. Their decision not mine.

fblandscape
05-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Will you have a machine there to dig the holes and place the trees?

GarPA
05-08-2003, 03:37 AM
Fb..I was considering renting one of those small hand held augers...about $75 per day...have not used one before but was told they work pretty well for smaller trees like these.Have never used a Dingo and probably cant cost justify the $200 to rent it for a day..I will have to use a tree cart to move each one into place...have to move each one only about 50 to 75 feet.

ladibugg
05-08-2003, 04:34 AM
The ball on a 6 ft pine can easily have a 32 to 36 inches width.

Would'nt you plan on putting in 48 in wide holes. Can a small auger put in a hole big enough for a 6 ft pine?

Are you planning on putting them in alone? How big are you? Wrapped in burlap with a wire cage, these trees could weigh as much as 350 lbs.

Will a small auger even move any of the soil? How hard is the clay? How big are the rocks? Clay and rock is not what these trees want to be planted in. Are you responsible for them when they die?

One guy with a shovel and a ball cart is going to be there a long time looking at those trees and wondering.

I would rather get lo balled than take on a high labor job and bust my butt for squat.

GarPA
05-08-2003, 06:48 AM
Ladibugg...I have been putting trees in the ground for for about 20 years. Your comments are all well understood....I have worked with trees larger than these, and installed them with no power tools...so to answer my original question, what would your estimate be?

PAPS
05-08-2003, 09:16 AM
If I was you I would charge a (2) man labor rate for 1 day, whatever your hourly rate is per man.

By the way..if you have been installing trees for over 20 years, like you said... why do you need help or question your price on such a easy estimate?

fblandscape
05-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Why not just get a mini-x in there, or a small TLB? Dig the holes really fast, use the machine to set the trees...

bobbygedd
05-08-2003, 04:06 PM
we installed 6 ft whites this past fall. we charged $175 per tree. heavy? oh yea! two of us with shovels and a wheelbarrow. we did 8 of them. plan on digging big holes. it took 6 hrs for pick up , delivery, and instalation, as well as a half yard of mulch to make it look pretty. cost of trees was $60 each.

kris
05-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Im with Paps ... at least one long day for 2. I'm more inclined to say 1.5 days x 2men

I have no idea of the soil conditions ...how tough the digging is.

Doc Pete
05-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Rule of thumb I've been following is, the price of the hole is equal to the retail price of the shrub. In other words, a $200 shrub is another $200 to install............

GarPA
05-09-2003, 05:41 AM
paps..like I said earlier I've been underbid a few times in the past couple weeks on landscaping installs so I wanted to do a quick check on prices . I'll stay with the $900. The for real business is only 2 years old but have been doing this kind if work on the side for a long time...there are times when I just need another opinion on a bid. I did find an auger at the rental center that tows behind a truck..you unattach from the vehicle and you can wheel it around the yard easily...comes with many different large auger sizes..only $75 per day...will be trying out that machine for the first time.