PDA

View Full Version : Cutting in swales with box blade

Mike Bradbury
05-08-2003, 01:14 AM
Start with level ground, how do I adjust a box blade to cut at an angle to create drainage swales? Shorten one of the side arms of the 3 pt hitch? If so, then would the side with the shorter arm be the bottom, "cutting" side or would it be the other side? Hard to visualize.

Again, start with level ground, how would I taper the whole thing to drain a certain direction? Put the box down at the desired "low" end and pull toward the "high" end??

Thanks for any help!:dizzy:

Harleyman
05-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Run the box blade and tractor the other way, making it dig down to where you want the ditch. if you try to angle the blade you will not get the grade that you want. Say you want to run a ditch north-south instead of trying to cut the ditch runing equipment north-south you run it east-west and make the blade dig deeper in the center of the ditch. Hope this helps

SWD
05-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Mike, how deep do you want to go?
I really cannot see wherein a tractor with a good adjustable 3 point can make a ditch.
If you are serious, it wil take some time.
Set the lift arm adjustment MUCH lower on the right, stomp on the differential lock, drive straight, and hang on.

Mike Bradbury
05-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by SWD
Mike, how deep do you want to go?
I really cannot see wherein a tractor with a good adjustable 3 point can make a ditch.
If you are serious, it wil take some time.
Set the lift arm adjustment MUCH lower on the right, stomp on the differential lock, drive straight, and hang on.

Thats' ALL I see around here. It's a final grade thing, what else you gonna use?
So the lift arms can be set one higher than the other? That makes sense! I thought you could only lengthen or shorten each one (not much seat time yet). That's beautiful, thank you!:blob2: