PDA

View Full Version : Ground Squirrels

Hopper1124
05-08-2003, 12:06 PM
How do you keep the Ground Squirrels from eating annuals, I planted Begonias and the squrriels have been feasting on them the last few seasons. Any Suggestions?

Thanks Hopper

hnter
05-08-2003, 02:31 PM
i have a huge problem with ground squirrels at a property that abuts a large wooded area and park...virtually unlimited food source for them there, and no predators...they eat some flowers, dig up others, and chew on anything--flower containers, deck wood, patio furniture, you name it, they destroy it...i've shot and poisoned them, both with limited (but satisfying) success...not sure about the legality of either of those...no way to eliminate them, though, there are just too many...the only other thing is to dump a lot of cayenne pepper on and around the flowers...they will stay away for a while, but will come back once the pepper disperses...or gets washed off...depending on your situation, that might be of some help...of course the red powder doesn't look nice, and can bother pets and people if it gets in the wrong place...i've tried nearly every commercially available product--dried blood, predator urine, human hair, Hinder-type sprays, liquids and powders, scrarecrow devices, and those sonic pest control devices...none will work for squirrels...a lawn sprinkler set to a timer always turned on and plugged into a motion detector works because they don't like to get wet, but again, in your situation in might not be appropriate...would love to hear other suggestions...in any case, good luck!