PDA

View Full Version : American Holly Tree Pruning

Hawkeye5
05-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Who has some experience with American Holly trees? I have one on a property I service that has been neglected for many years. It is planted next to the house (I mean right next to the house) with a West exposure and has grown perhaps 40 feet tall. It needs to be pruned as it is spreading out and up. It now is way over the roof line and limbs are rubbing on the shingles. This particular example has multiple trunks from the ground. It is a really nice tree, but needs serious attention. Can I prune one of these back and top it to bush size or will that harm the tree? I could sure use some suggestions as I have no experience with American Holly.

Doogiegh
05-09-2003, 10:45 PM
I don't have any experience trimming them either, but one of my customer has one smack dab in the middle of the front lawn.. So I cut a circle around it.. He wants all the leaves that fall under the tree about 8 inches in sucked up also.. So every time I go around it, I go around usually clockwise and man, the right arm gets scratched up, it;s like freaking barb wire from the leaves... Who's bright idea was it to put nice berries on the tree for animals and birds to eat, but cover the tree in razor-sharp point leaves. <G>
It's like a mean trick.

Gary

onemancrew
05-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Yes, find the right heighth for you & cut the top out. If it has been negelcted for a while it might take 2-3 yrs to get it's shape back in the top. They are pretty hardy, just prune it in the fall.

hubb
05-11-2003, 12:18 AM
I have two of them next to my house. They were both neglected horribly when I bought the house. They are about 12' and 15' ft in hgt. What I did at the suggestion of my sister was ball them at the top. I keep them balled at the top by trimming them back each spring as soon as the red berries fall off. I've had alot of complements on them. I'll try to post a pic later.