PDA

View Full Version : soil test

superman
05-09-2003, 01:19 PM
I know this is a really stupid question. Please excuse my ignorance. I am just trying to make myself a little smarter.

Can any explain to me how to perform a soil test? Is this a kit I can buy somewhere? Also does anyone know of any good reading material on this subject? One more, anyone know how to start to get your application license in the state of KY? Who do I contact and where do I get study information for the test?

Sorry for all the questions. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hboyd_com
05-09-2003, 01:34 PM
There should be a local extension service of the University that you can use. In PA, it is a coop with Penn State University. You buy a kit at the local extension office, $6-8 and mail in a sample following the samling instructions.

check the following link for KY.
http://www.organicgardening.com/library/soil_test_labs.html#ky

Green Pastures
05-09-2003, 01:53 PM
I purchased a soil core sample tool (stainless steel) from Lesco. It takes a 3/4" round core sample from the surface to as deep as 18". This way you get an accurate sample of all the layers of soil instead of just the top inch or so. The tool was like $35, so a little pricey, but if you get the right tool to do the right job, you get better results.

I also have Lesco send off the soil to get tested. The address on the test results is:

CLC Labs
325 Venture Drive
Westerville, Oh. 43081
(614) 888-1663

These are some of the most comprehensive soil test reports I've ever seen. VERY HAPPY with the results by simply following the recommendations on the test results using Lesco products. My customers rave about the difference in their yards since I started REQUIRING soil testing before any fertilizer application. I make them re-test bi-annually. I charge $25 for the test and a copy of the results, it cost's me my time to take the sample and $11 to Lesco.

Like I said it's worth it, my customers rave to everybody about me. I just took 2 new soil samples from 2 new customers that were referred to me by 1 (new) customer I just picked up and serviced in April. This guy has only had the soil test, 1 fert application, 1 lime application and a total yard weed control spray done and he RAVES out loud to neighbors, co-workers. It's great. He had Chemlawn prior to me for 3 years. You should have seen this lawn, it was in horrible shape and FULL of violets, chickeweed, henbit, dandelions etc. He was paying for weed control from Chemlawn. I just don't see where he was getting his $$ worth, there were SO MANY weeds. I did 1 complete yard spray with Confront and some 3 way mixed in and Spreader Sticker and 95% of the weeds are GONE. He could not be happier.

This guy is proof positive that if you do a great job and make the customer undeniably happy you will get new business from it.

God bless you. If I can answer any questions PM me.

hboyd_com
05-09-2003, 01:56 PM
The Penn State service that I use also includes a full report with suggestions for fertilizing, lime, etc.

timturf
05-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Green pasture, way to tell everybody they need to do soil test.

All accounts need to be done when you sign them up and every 2-3 yrs.

SOIL TEST a must

try A&l lab general test is 8.50, to add soluble salts a little extra

several labs nation wide
804 743 9401, e mail office@aol-eastern.com
this branch in richmond, va.

Green Pastures
05-09-2003, 08:41 PM
I should probably keep my mouth shut........but I'm not greedy.

Soil testing has revolutionized my business' reputation.