PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Ajuga

Doc Pete
05-09-2003, 09:58 PM
I have a customer that has Ajuga taking over the backyard. Will weed b gon kill this, or does it need more drastic measures???
Thanks,
Pete

greenman
05-09-2003, 11:01 PM
A jug..of what? LOL! Never heard of Ajuga. Ajuga...whiskey? Ill take it.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by greenman
A jug..of what? LOL! Never heard of Ajuga. Ajuga...whiskey? Ill take it.

LOL never heard of any of those drinks, is that one of them new fangled yuppy drinks.......

Pete, have no idea, never heard of it.

I think this is the address www.weedalert.com they tell you the control chem also.

Popsicle
05-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Ajuga spreads with runners so my guess would be a shovel and a lot of hours.

1MajorTom
05-10-2003, 12:28 AM
This is an invasive groundcover with runners, not easy to eradicate.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/groundcover/ajuga_reptans.html

Doc Pete
05-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
This is an invasive groundcover with runners, not easy to eradicate.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/groundcover/ajuga_reptans.html

I guess girls are smarter:D Thanks Jodi. I realize what it is, and glad to see you know too:p . Have you had any particular method for getting rid of it that works best for you????

1MajorTom
05-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Thanks Jodi. I realize what it is, and glad to see you know too.

Yeah, I knew what it was, but I went looking for a pic so others could know too.

Here are your control methods:
Mechanical - Mow, cut back, dig, pull, dead-head, cut down, controlled burns maybe.

Chemical - Paint foliage or freshly cut stem with glyphosate. (Roundup) Hack it and squirt it.

Educational - Don't plant it, and tell others why they shouldn't plant it either.

Quote: Have you had any particular method for getting rid of it that works best for you????

Have never had the pleasure of trying to remove this.

Doc Pete
05-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Quote:
Thanks Jodi. I realize what it is, and glad to see you know too.

Yeah, I knew what it was, but I went looking for a pic so others could know too.

Here are your control methods:
Mechanical - Mow, cut back, dig, pull, dead-head, cut down, controlled burns maybe.

Chemical - Paint foliage or freshly cut stem with glyphosate. (Roundup) Hack it and squirt it.

Educational - Don't plant it, and tell others why they shouldn't plant it either.

Quote: Have you had any particular method for getting rid of it that works best for you????

Have never had the pleasure of trying to remove this.

And just like a woman, you give "way" too much info for a "man" to understand:blush: :blush: :blush: ;) ;)
I give the roundup a try.

Thanks for the help,
Pete

STAN1366
05-10-2003, 02:56 PM
If it's spreading on a lawn, can you use Weed-B-gone? Hate to kill some good grass with Roundup.

lawncare3
05-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Try some of that round up that kills ONLY weeds and leaves the grass alone.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by lawncare3
Try some of that round up that kills ONLY weeds and leaves the grass alone. Come on why did you reply to this?

Round Up is a non selective herbicide

He would want a selective herbicide.....Kill only the target plant.

That is what you were saying..

TotalCareSolutions
05-10-2003, 09:00 PM
I was looking for a ground cover for a customer three years ago, very steep slope. While looking for a TotalCareSolution, I came across a bad @ss Ivy Runner called Ajuga. If I remember correctly, it was introduced in Europe (or somewhere to control erosion,) I forget why it was brought over to U.S. Again, Im working from vaque recollection (which means I could be making it up), This thing really "runs", the root is deep and may be way down the street, so good luck with chemicals. They tried to stop it with metal sheets into the ground and as containment; Picture if you will a metal prison cell, under ground. Ajuga got out.

It was recommended in the book that I read, also, not to use it and discourage other from using it. They were still dealing with this problem, wherever it was introduced. Probably introduced by a Military Engineer, dealing with erosion issues??

Dont waste your money on Weed B Gone. Do some research. Try the internet.

KenH
05-10-2003, 09:30 PM
I killed some with Lescos 3 Way. It was a small, 1 ft by 1 ft patch.