PDA

View Full Version : label what label?

sirsweatsalot
05-10-2003, 01:02 AM
so im new to the spraying this year but i do have a minor question? i bought 50 pound bags of fert from my local dealer, and he said its just 50 pounds per 100 gallons... am i wrong here or shouldn't there be some thing on the bag that tells me that. all it says is 46-0-0. and thats it.

cemars
05-10-2003, 08:15 PM
As you have discovered, unlike pesticides, fertilizers can have very vague labels for several reasons. First, they are state, not federally regulated products (like pesticides), and second, they have multiple potential uses and rates depending on :
-Plant type, i.e. ag, fruit, ornamental, turf, etc.
-Method of application, i.e. liquid, granular, broadcast, soil injection, foliar spray, etc.
-Rate of spray, spread, etc.

The bag of 46-0-0 contains 23 lbs. of nitrogen. Mixed at one bag per 100 gallons could mean anything depending on your rate of spray and your objectives. If your rate of spray is 3 gallons per 1000 on turf, you are applying about .7 lbs N per 1000 s.f. Depending on what you are spraying and when you are spraying it , this could be too much, too little, or just about right. If you don't know how to calibrate your equipment, ask the rep or do a search on this site. Hope this helps.