PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas.....

precisionlawn
05-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Here are a few pics of a property that i maintenance. The owner wants some shrubs, plants, groundcover, etc. in the beds in front of his house, here are some pics. Can someone please give me some ideas on what would look nice in there. The propert faces west, and is in direct sunlight from about noon on throughout the rest of the day. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

precisionlawn
05-10-2003, 02:12 PM
another view........

precisionlawn
05-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Oh, I forgot, He wants 4, 30" boxwoods under the front window.

Turfdude
05-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Precision,

To right of front door do a symmetrical planting w/ a pyramidal evergreen at each corner and 3 med height evergreens inbetween. On left side, plant 5 shrubs in a gradual arch to compliment the bow window. Ask client if they like color, blooming shrubs, etc.. You can send them to check out plant material at a local nursery, then sit down w/ them and review plant material that will work in their location keeping in mind wind, water, sun, mature plant height, suceptability of plant to fungus and/or insect problems, etc..

If you have an imaging program, just import shrubs into pic 1 and present color photo - job will sell itself!

precisionlawn
05-10-2003, 02:19 PM
another view......

precisionlawn
05-10-2003, 02:21 PM
This is the seeting to the right of the driveway he also wants something in here. Any suggestions??

precisionlawn
05-10-2003, 02:30 PM
I wish i did have imaging software, I think after this job i will invest in a program, it would help ALOT!

Green in Idaho
05-11-2003, 04:52 PM
What would look nice is not the question. There are lots of things that would look nice.

Yes he wants this but has he asked you for a bid or just ideas. Does he know a ball park cost? He may be thinking a $200 and not $2,000 for a nice job.

This homeowner is obvously not a lawn and garden coverpage type of person and they obviously are not willing to pay for lots of maintenance (unless they just moved in last month). Evidence: bark needs replacing and hasn't been for a couple seasons, fabric is sticking out, nothing nice in the beds now, lots of weeds, stale front yard, trash cans still sitting out next to spilled mulch on teh drive and a boat in the driveway. He is not particular about the property appearance!

Also of note is the dog next to the bed in the last picture. Does he wash the kennel into that bed? Does he want to shield the dog's view? Dont' plant things in there that attract bees.

He needs low maintenance and low cost === groundcovers with color like creeping phox, low evergreens, a few colorful shrubs that need pruning only every few years like burning bush, or other euonymous types... I agree with TurfDude of using pyramidal for some height like Alberta spruce... Good luck and careful on the costs and time issue.

BTW how about an edger on the sidewalk and some vertical trimming to keep the edges clean and sharp... Is that dead grass clippings along the edge of the walk?

NNJLandman
05-11-2003, 07:29 PM
I would suggest some redmaples or arbavites as the "center piece" of the two areas, the smaller area with the boat in the picture i would use a redmaples then maybe some grasses, i suggest the same ideas for the larger part by the doorway only with some arbavites.

bridges
05-12-2003, 11:21 PM
I have been meaning to post a pic of a small area in my yard. I don't know what to do with it.

Hey he is tring to have a nice yard. The lawn looks good.

I'm not to good at this but I have some ideas, you guys can let me know if they are any good.

Right side of driveway,
Plant a tree to give the dog some shade. It doesn't have to be a big one. Something that blooms or a red maple would look good. then you can plant some pachysandra under the maple tree.
But I think I saw a tree near there so I don't know if that would be to close. or just rhododendrons

arbavite in front of the hose a bit so it takes up that corner. Hang the hose on the wall with a hose hang out. Put his boxwoods under the window. 2 blooming shrub in front of boxwood if you have room, You could put some evergreen shrub in front of boxwood but closer to the wall going up to the arbavite. .You can even have a row of them from the arbavite down to the driveway, going along the wall. Put more in front of the door area to hide that back wall. and then in the center of that circle near the drive way put a small tree, I can't think of that tree right now. And you can have the evergreen around that tree. or anything instead of the tree.