PDA

View Full Version : Saving Rodadendrons (SP)?

Edgewater
05-10-2003, 11:17 PM
I am in Montreal, and this is about as far North as they will grow. This past winter was real bad here. Very little snow cover and COLD wind.

Even those that we covered in the fall are in bad shape, but showing new leaves.

Is there anything that can be done to save them?

Any help would be great, they are not cheap here.

Adam

AGLA
05-11-2003, 08:24 AM
If they are showing some new growth, they will come back.. or parts will. In the fall you might want to spray on some anti-dessicant and try to keep them well watered oward the end of the season.

There are Rhododendron species that are native to the Himalayans, but growers supply what they can sell lots of which are those less hardy it seems.

KenH
05-11-2003, 01:31 PM
On a side note...I tried Vapor Guard one year and practically had to toss my backpack sprayer. That stuff is like trying to spray honey.

Green in Idaho
05-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Give em some Rhody fertilizer. Specifically formulated for rhodies and other related evergreens.

Edgewater
05-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone.

I will try the Fertilizer.

Georgiehopper
05-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Use a good biostimulant on them..it ought to bring em around

Green in Idaho
05-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Biostimulent????

Do you mean something like waving a sexy azalea in front of them?

Georgiehopper
05-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Well plants engage in sex too...so the sexy azalea may be just what your limp rhody needs.... :-) but what I actually mean is something like "superthrive" which is somewhat expensive but works wonders. I have resurrected many a plant using that product. You can also you any of the biostimulants which contain a B1 vitamin... there are quite a few of them around going by many different brand names.