PDA

View Full Version : electric sprayers

mr.lawnzap
05-11-2003, 12:18 AM
i have a small lawn service of 40 customers,i provide maintenence and weed and fert,yes i am licensed. anyway i have become interested in electric spray rigs, are these reliable? are they powerful enough to put down a pre-emergant at proper rates? im thinking of trying to go lighter and quieter, since most of these are residential under 20,000 sf . i think 100 to 150 gallon size skid mount we be great. ive done weed and fert for five seasons at local companies so im pretty seasoned here in the transistion zone in n/e okla. i am fully aware of the virtues of gas rigs so humour me.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-11-2003, 01:11 AM
Weight the costs first, a real good electric pump Udor Kappa, (don't remeber the model) $500, Gas pump $700........

Then you have the lower priced pumps Flojet 4300 $90 last you a few rounds, then you will need to replace diaphragm, but might as well replace whole pump to save trouble.

Reliability GAS.

Electric is really not lighter, need a power source also.

mr.lawnzap
05-11-2003, 02:24 AM
im going to put something together myself, can get a shurflo 12v for a couple hundred. tanks are reletively cheap, but what kind of power source would be the best? im not familiar with electric set-ups yet.

rkk95
05-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Why don't you just come right off of the truck battery? We use some 50 gallon tanks with electric pumps in the summer for spot treating while we are doing granular aps. We ran a couple of them with a marine battery, that worked well, just don't forget to charge it.

Tharrell
05-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Most of the pest control trucks you see with tanks in the back use electric (12 volt), just wired to the vehicle. The exception would be termite rigs which use gas because they put out so much volume (gpm). I've used an electric power spayer on my pest control truck and not had any problems. If you use a power reel, it will drain your battery. I had to run the vehicle while retrieving the hose. Power reels are nice if you're using hose larger than 3/8.

Turf Medic
05-11-2003, 12:22 PM
if you go with an electric set up, put an additional battery on your unit. Use a deep cycle marine battery, with a marine battery box, then run a heavy wire to your alternator, that will allow the battery to charge while you are driving and you won't be as likely to run your battery on your truck down. I have this set up on my reel and have yet to have the battery run down or have to start the truck to rewind the hose.

mr.lawnzap
05-11-2003, 10:22 PM
thanks for the info guys,i like turf medics idea of aseperate battery so i dont run the truck battery down.if anybody else has info about electric pumps,battery,or anything i may be overlooking here please let me know.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-14-2003, 06:15 AM
Don't mess with the surflo, they don't have a high volume pump with vioton vavles, you wont find any pump with a vioton diaphragm, and satophrean valves go out fast.

Flojet or Aquatec

LAWNGODFATHER
05-15-2003, 12:36 AM
I just thought of something..

How long of a hose do you plan on using?

None of these low dollar pumps are going to do any good out of a 300' hose.

You will need a Pumptec or Undor Kappa electric for this. $500

mr.lawnzap
05-15-2003, 01:13 AM
lgf iv decided to hell with electric,im going gas, that way im familiar with the whole setup