PDA

View Full Version : A cordless electric hedge trimmer worth buying?

Taohoo
05-11-2003, 01:15 AM
I'd like to get a battery-powered hedge trimmer with at least Some
cutting power, for home use. Which is the best?

I know that I cannot expect the same performance as from my corded mdl, but from what I've read, I'm guessing that the 14.4v Black & Decker sold at Home Depot will probably be a bit underpowered for me, although
probably fine for new green growth cuts. A few users have mentioned
1/8" branches as it's practical limit.

Amazon sells the American Gardener mdl #900052 which is 24v, so that
should be the most powerful cutter of the lot? I assume that it would
handle somewhat thicker branches, as opposed to just giving longer run
time... I can find no user review of it anywhere on the web. I also read
one mention from back in 2002, of a Homelite 18v unit (? that came
with 2 batteries And a string trimmer, all for $99 at Home Depot) that
seems to be no longer available anywhere, and not a word about it on
the web, either. All the rest I see seem to be 14v or under.

Should I take the unit's voltage to be a good Relative indicator of
it's branch trim diameter ability?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

grassdaddy
05-11-2003, 09:33 AM
You could could buy a cheap gas power for 100-150,that would be 10 times better than cord wrestle'n or battery pwr.:eek:

Taohoo
05-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but a cheap 2stroke is going to be loud as hell, smelly, and probably won't start the next time I want to use it. I finally got rid of everything I had that needed pre-mix (motorbikes, mower, etc), and would like to keep it that way.

I considered that route, then decided to sacrifice power for convenience and Peace!

If anyone has experience w/any cordless yard eqpmt that might give me clues to answer my original Q, I'm all ears.

JasperStorm
05-16-2003, 09:25 AM
< crickets >

crawdad
05-16-2003, 09:41 AM
When DeWalt makes one, I'll consider getting one. Till then, I don't think so.
My wife bought a cordless string trimmer, planning to help around our lawn, but she said she was dissapointed with the lack of power. Well, that's not exactly how she phrased it, but...
Crawdad

Green Pastures
05-16-2003, 10:44 AM
NO

hboyd_com
05-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Get a long extension cord or get a gas powered one. Battery powered equipment like that never seem to have enough power or run-time.... and the batteries deteriorate as you use them.

Mike Bradbury
05-26-2003, 02:05 AM
I've a B&D cordless electric lawn mower,(5hp) now in it's 5th season that cuts perfectly my small 5k' lawn. Plenty of power too.

PS - I am a turf and landscape installer. Lots of big and powerful (and loud and smelly and expensive to maintain) equipment. Battery power has come a LONG way in the past few years. Not for commercial type use of course, but for a homeowner, pretty darn nice. BUT, a hand held tool is different in the battery,power vs weight battle. No experience with hedge clippers, but I'd be a bit skeptical. can always take them back though.

Mike Bradbury
05-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by grassdaddy
You could could buy a cheap gas power for 100-150,that would be 10 times better than cord wrestle'n or battery pwr.:eek:

For 100-150 dollars you could buy a cheap piece of **** gas powered that wouldn't start the second spring..............

mr.lawnzap
05-26-2003, 02:56 AM
get some manual hedge clippers if you want serenity, thats what youre fortune cookie says today!!

nocutting
11-13-2005, 02:11 PM
:waving: Hi, I have an older, very small 6 or 8 inch bar that I use to sculpt those silly twisty type lanscape junipers....think its onlt a 6 volt, 2-batts, so I keep several [3 sets fully charged on the truck] and 1 in the unit......I too am lookin into another alternative [ already have those noisey, smelly, heavy 2 cyl jobs- 2 echos on poles which i luv dearly, 2-30 inchers, hand snips, pole saw & pole pruner, and chain saw on a pole].....I see sears has a 24 volt model now, but you have to stick the whole thing in its charger[ better if it had separet batts]........any insight from you other pros would be greatly appreciated..............:dizzy:

Mic_bug
11-15-2005, 09:55 PM
get some manual hedge clippers if you want serenity, thats what youre fortune cookie says today!!
:D

At least you don't have to worry about batteries....