PDA

View Full Version : Potted Trees

green-side-up
05-11-2003, 05:03 AM
Hello All,

I am new here to your boards looking for some advice.

I have been asked to do some landscaping in a parking lot at a factory in the city of Chicago. The idea behind the landscaping is to block the view of the parking lot from the street and also to have trees through the center of the lot simply to make it look better. I do not want to tear up the parking lot so I am interested in using potted plants and trees. Here are my questions;

1) To block the view from the street I have chosen to plant some type of evergreen tree. That way even during the cold winters of Chicago they will still serve their intended purpose. What kinds of evergreen do you recommend and what size pot should I use? The chain link fence that surrounds the lot is 8 feet tall. I would prefer something that would at least be that high.

2) Could you recommend some trees that would do well in a pot and still grow to be around 12 feet and still live for many years? Keep in mind I might not have a place to store them for the winter. Also, what size pots will a tree like this need?

I have a pretty good budget to work with so big cement planters are not out of the question. I hope I have provided enough information for you to give me some decent advice. I thank you in advance for your time.

Thanks,

Mike

kris
05-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Mike,

Perhaps Blue Spruce or Pine trees for along the fence.
I'm not a fan of planting shrubs let alone trees in Pots ... they just don't do well in my climate.
I can't picture an 8' tree in a pot ... the root ball will be at least 36" at the time of planting. .

I would rip up the parking lot and perhaps have 2' high planters if youíre after that kind of look.

paul
05-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Being from your area, I'll tell you the the plants will be dead each spring. Here's the problem we have a large variation in temps during the winter, lots of freeze thaws. The plants won't take well to that type of temperatures changes.

Lanelle
05-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Another issue is where is the snow piled in the lot during the winter. To get enough room for trees, the end of the lot may have to be shortened to lessen the chance of plowing damage. I agree that the trees should be planted in the ground.