PDA

View Full Version : Granular Confront. Not too happy.

TLS
05-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Little problem....

I have all my applications done by a good friend of mine. He treats me well, I make a few bucks on top, customers are happy.

I don't have an applicators license. I should, because I probably have more knowledge then some of those monkeys out there spraying, but......

My Aunt calls me the other week wanting a "can you get rid of my weeds Tommy" job. Since all of my jobs that my buddy does are for the most part weed free, we haven't scheduled the weed and feed application yet. He just did a Crabgrass (5-0-17 Dimension) in April as the first round.

I went out to buy the product for her. Ended up with Lebanon's Proscape, Homogenous Fert. 19-3-9 with CONFRONT and TEAM + Iron. Not cheap! But figured as late as I'm putting it down (May 2nd) the TEAM part may still be able to be useful for controlling some late summer crabgrass. COST = $35.00 / 50lb bag !!!

I figure...nothing but the best for my best Aunt! Plus the CONFRONT claims that it isn't necessary that the leaf be wet, like SO many other granular products.

Well it was early morning and it was rather wet anyways. Put it down according to label, even a bit heavier too. Had also bought a little more for my Girlfriends house. Did Her house that morning too.

Now....almost 10 days later, I have 80% of the dandilions curling, but otherwise looking healthy. Other weeds, clover etc. are looking a bit battered, but not like I would think. Then there's the other 20% where I have FULLY healthy dandilions, and other seemingly untouched weeds.

Whats going on here?

Did I just flush $140 down the drain? I wanted a once and done do-it-all product. Sure I may be covered a bit with the TEAM keeping some warm season grasses from starting, and the grass did noticably green up a nice DARK green, but.....

I read other posts about Confront and they all seemingly say that it takes a while. Well

:confused:

What now?

KenH
05-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Tried Confront last year...hated it. I always did all granular apps,. but as you could figure, always had a problem with weed control. A while back, Rockland made a weed control which was actually corn husks, coated with Trimec. The stuff worked awesome....nice and light...stuck to clover and ever spurge. My supplier told me a few years back Rockland went out of business for some reason or another. I was back at square one until I purchased the portable spray tanks for my walk behind spreader. Now I can apply liquid weed control (Lesco 3 way) and use granulars for all the rest. All without the expense of a spray rig.

onemancrew
05-11-2003, 09:54 PM
I don't know about the dry confront, but the liquid works great. It did take about 2-3 weeks to show signs of stress but it works. Did the job on the violets. Just one question. Is your day time temps consistantly in the 60's? If not that will hurt you.

bobbygedd
05-11-2003, 09:58 PM
i used confront for the first time last season. i loved it. granular too. one thing i noticed, it took a long time to work, but in the end was very thorough. especially good on clover

philk17088
05-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Soil temps are still low, everything is slow to work. A week of warm weather and you should see them starting kicking.

KenH
05-13-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i used confront for the first time last season. i loved it. granular too. one thing i noticed, it took a long time to work, but in the end was very thorough. especially good on clover

Was the lawn wet for application???

bobbygedd
05-13-2003, 06:05 PM
nope, dont need to be