What kind of mulch is everyone using?

Cypress?
Hardwood?
Pine Bark?
Wood chips?

What is your preference?

grassdaddy
05-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Pine bark,it shovels easy,lasts awhile and its 10.00 a scoop.:)

mmacsek
05-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Double ground hardwood, $13.00 a yard. Looks great .
Matt

Green Pastures
05-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by mmacsek
Double ground hardwood, $13.00 a yard. Looks great .
Matt

Ditto.

mowngrow
05-11-2003, 10:23 PM
shredded harwood only. we get it for $12.50 per yard

Kohls Landscaping Co
05-11-2003, 10:28 PM
We use black-gold hardwood mulch that is shredded fairly well. It's nice because it "sufficates" weed growth and doesn't take forever to decompose. I guess it's a northern mulch becuase I don't hear of many people on this site using it. It also costs $30 a yard...

nelbuts
05-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Cypress, no termites!

edrenckh
05-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Cypress. No others compare.

1stclasslawns
05-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Double ground red ceder. $16.00 per yard in 3 cf bags. easy to handle looks great smells nice.

Jim

Mark P
05-11-2003, 11:14 PM
:) Double ground Hardwood, looks great and only 12.00yd, also put down what the client wants...but mostly use hardwood.....Marks Mowing Service

landscaper3
05-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Black mulch, Or dark depending on location.,

Tharrell
05-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Double ground anything. Like was said, it smothers a lot of weeds. Decomposes faster and is easier to freshen up. Termites in mulch is a misconception. The only time I've seen them is during swarm season and those were just coming out of the ground. A good perimeter spray (monthly except winter) will deter most pests around the outside of a foundation. Subterranean termites could not function if the mulch was the proper thickness. Mulch does provide a good home to other insects though like ants, pill/sowbugs. If the mulch is the proper thickness (2-3 inches), it can be granulated and it will soak through. Any thicker and it won't be effective.

Georgiehopper
05-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Depends on the job. If someone wants a long lasting wood mulch which retains its color well, we use pine bark mini-nuggets. If they want a more permanent mulch we use decorative stone aggregate. If the area is a perennial or annual garden, we use Virginia Pine Fines, and if its just an ordinary shrub/ tree bed, we use double shredded hardwood.

65hoss
05-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Brown hardwood mulch or Pine Needles is what I use. I refuse to use the black due to it made with coal around here. You get completely black from it, and breathing coal dust will kill you.

DaddyRabbit
05-12-2003, 10:53 AM
We use more red designer mulch than anything but there are a few homeowners that prefer triple shread hardwood or cypruss.

mdb landscaping
05-12-2003, 06:25 PM
my favorite would be spruce or cedar. pine bark mulch breaks down too quickly.

KenH
05-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Other than MDB, Im surprised on the lack of "Brown Cedar" replies. Might be a CT thang....:)

GarPA
05-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Mostly black...cough wheez spit gag wheeez gag cough....Eric I dont know what they dye our black with but it will stain you just looking at it....but more and more customers are going with it because the overall quality of "hardwood" mulch the past 10 years has gone from bad to worse...I;ve had suppliers tell me most of the "good stuff" has much more scrap lumber than it used to...and I believe it given how fast it fades. We'll use pine bark nuggets on small beds like at a townhome ...they look great and hold their color.....wheeez cough gag spit sputter....whew!!! I gotta stop breathin' that black poison....

zukofsu
05-12-2003, 09:54 PM
We have been using shredded hardwood for years, but the nursery now carries shredded OAK. This is by far the best mulch I have used, the color does not fade even after months. Only drawback is initially it is not quite as dark as the hardwood, but the color lasts.

Just my .02

65hoss
05-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by GarPA
Mostly black...cough wheez spit gag wheeez gag cough....Eric I dont know what they dye our black with but it will stain you just looking at it....but more and more customers are going with it because the overall quality of "hardwood" mulch the past 10 years has gone from bad to worse...I;ve had suppliers tell me most of the "good stuff" has much more scrap lumber than it used to...and I believe it given how fast it fades. We'll use pine bark nuggets on small beds like at a townhome ...they look great and hold their color.....wheeez cough gag spit sputter....whew!!! I gotta stop breathin' that black poison....

If your getting stains, its coal. Better were a respirator to keep from getting it into your lungs.

snowplowjay
05-13-2003, 12:04 AM
red cedar looks very good if u ask me

Jay

NCSULandscaper
05-13-2003, 01:58 AM
Mainly use triple shredded hardwood for $13/yd.

KenH
05-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Is the schredded oak really stringy??

Kohls Landscaping Co
05-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Just kinda curious how most everyone here doesn't pay more than 15 bucks a yard for mulch. Like I said earlier, the "normal" price for Black Gold shredded hardwood mulch in Ohio is around 30 dollars a yard. It's finely shredded, so I can see why it would cost more, but it don't know about twice as much. Just kinda curious if anyone around Ohio uses it and what they are paying??
Thanks!

mdb landscaping
05-13-2003, 02:13 PM
ya.....it seems alot of people here are buying mulch a lot cheaper than what i get it for. the stuff i get is really premium stuff though and i dont mind paying more, especially since im just passing the cost down to the customer. i pay about $25,26, or 27/yd for wholesale landscapers discount. they sell the stuff for like $32,33,34/yd to the public.

65hoss
05-13-2003, 09:29 PM
You guys really don't want to know what I pay for hardwood mulch. I am not sure at some of your prices how any money can be made.

KenH
05-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
You guys really don't want to know what I pay for hardwood mulch. I am not sure at some of your prices how any money can be made.

Im not sure what the price has to do with making money, as this cost is passed on to the customer. I pay 18 for cedar and sell it for 28 (which is what it retails for). You can pay 15 for the same, but it probably retails for 25........no difference.

mdvaden
05-14-2003, 04:23 AM
My favorite is referred to in Oregon as medium fir. Its from Douglas Fir (which technically is not a fir. Fir is Abies, Douglas Fir is Psuedotsuga).

Anyway, its about $110 for 7 cubic yards.

I like it because it does decompose, but slightly - I prefer slight decomposition for small soil improvement benefits.

My mulch views and opinions are already written as an advice topic in the landscape advice part of our Advice webpage at www.mdvaden.com

65hoss
05-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by KenH
Im not sure what the price has to do with making money, as this cost is passed on to the customer. I pay 18 for cedar and sell it for 28 (which is what it retails for). You can pay 15 for the same, but it probably retails for 25........no difference.

So you put it in for $28 per yard? If so, like I said, how can you make any money. If you get extra for installation then great, but how much? I know the cost involved with mulch jobs, and its real hard to make money if a big cost is in the mulch.

GarPA
05-15-2003, 06:16 AM
Eric I respectfully disgree. While I pay $24 for a yard delivered for colored mulch, I sell it for 30. So for a 15 yard job I make $90 for nothing more than making a phone call and then my normal landscaping rate per hour( 1 yard perhour) so I find this work very profitable.
Perhaps I'm the oddball on this but I think we're primarily in the business of selling labor, not material.

65hoss
05-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by GarPA
Eric I respectfully disgree. While I pay $24 for a yard delivered for colored mulch, I sell it for 30. So for a 15 yard job I make $90 for nothing more than making a phone call and then my normal landscaping rate per hour( 1 yard perhour) so I find this work very profitable.
Perhaps I'm the oddball on this but I think we're primarily in the business of selling labor, not material.
Thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a lot of people charging $40-$60 per yard for everything. If your paying $24 per yard then having to get it, install, cleanup, cleanup truck&trailer, drive time, etc they haven't really made anything. I pay $7 per yard and charge $70-$75 for install unless there is prep work to be done. Even at the $63 per yard difference I refuse to do any other than my regular customers. Why? Its all about cost. Fixed cost, variable cost, opportunity cost, etc play a big factor there. You lose a lot of time when you stop your normal effeciencies to unload trailers, go get mulch, go to customers house, install, go back, cleanup trailer, reload, and try to get back to the normal work.

Larger companies with more crews can be more efficient with mulch jobs. This is not in reference to larger companies, but to smaller ones. Also, larger jobs were you can justify having it delivered is also different. Your not messing your schedule up as much. Your not losing as much time dealing with getting the mulch on site.

T. Matthews
05-15-2003, 10:54 PM
100% hemlock getting it for $36 to 38 per yard not delivered

The Lawn Boy Pro
05-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Dyed Red-Cedar Chips. ONLY that- cuz its S-A-weet!!!!!!!!

Frank2
05-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Hemlock/Cedar Mix

jkelton
12-16-2003, 05:31 PM
If material price was of no consideration (all options would be the same price per cubic yard), which material would you choose to put out and why? Material choices would be: Brown Hardwood Bark, Black (colored with charcoal), Dyed Black, Dyed Red, Dyed Brown, Shredded Pine Bark, and Pine Bark Fines (some of you may know this as Soil Conditioner). These products are the main products available in my area.

FYI - my favorite is Pine Fines

Avery
12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
We use double shredded hardwood. Mostly red oak. Very easy to work with and does not fade too fast. $12.50 a cu/yd delivered in a walking floor tractor/trailer.

ProMo
12-16-2003, 08:58 PM
I have it blown in for 29 per yd if its over 10 yds thats easy money. I hate the red dyed stuff I use either cypress or mini pine bark.

Black Water
12-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Double ground red oak-$14 Yd. or Slash pine straw $3.43 a bale.

Black Water
12-16-2003, 10:05 PM
I see alot of LCO'S at the trash dump getting the recycled yard waste mulch, because it's free. I've put some in my yard, and the trees absolutely love it.:)

Buginout
12-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Here in on the sun coast we use all Bark shredded cypress but at $45.00 per yard (my cost) most will settle for all tree shredded cypress at $20.00 per yard .

olderthandirt
12-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Last yr I started selling GROUND RED BRICK found a local excavating co. that tears down old brick buildings and puts the bricks through a crusher a couple times. I t comes out in pieces 1/2-1 inch and looks fantastic, last for ever. I pay 30 a cu.yd but I charge $125, only becoase I'm the only one getting it right now.

Mac

hole in one lco
12-17-2003, 06:02 AM
triple shredded black gold 27.0 yd rock pile

idugaholez
12-17-2003, 12:13 PM
the stuff i like the best is earthtone rubberific mulch, I know its expensive, but it always looks fresh, and it lasts!!!!

Grassmechanic
12-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Nothing but cypress, although I had one client insist on cocoa bean hulls.

o-so-n-so
12-17-2003, 09:02 PM
I use old coffee grounds.....holds its color, fine texture and it smells like morning all day. A little expensive but it works.

Just kiddin...... pine products for me. Bark in different forms and also pine straw depending on the application

Charlie Sierra
12-19-2003, 08:26 AM
Unless the customer has special needs or requests, we install triple shredded, hardwood "black gold" type product. We pay about $18.00 a yard. What I prefer about this product is that the finely shredded stuff breaks down quicker and stays put better when you blow out edges during mowing season.

I am concerned because I have been dumping leaves at my designated mulch vendor all Fall and see semi-trailers full of scrap lumber coming in. I understand that this is pretty much industry standard anymore but I was upset to see MDX and OSX scraps going into next year's mulch.

I have since found a new vendor with a guarunteed pure product but it is pricier and adds two hours to my day if I go pick it up. I will probably end up offering customers a choice next year.

qualitylandscaping
12-19-2003, 04:17 PM
I think I have to go with Hemlock blend.. Closely followed by natural cedar and triple ground black diamond.. all run between $12 and $20 per yard. Hemlock blend in picture- its a redish/brownish double ground blend ($17/yd).. I love it!payup

yardmonkey
12-19-2003, 09:37 PM
OK - my favorite mulch? I have three:

Shredded Leaves -
Instead of bagging and hauling off leaves, I prefer to shred them (I use my mower, but a chipper/shredder, blower/vac or Billy Goat might be even better) and use them on site as mulch. Sometimes I even bag the extra and leave it there to use later or take it away to use elsewhere. One of the best things you can do for the soil and earthworms love it. Many people just leave the leaves in beds as mulch but this is not so attractive and unshredded leaves take a while to break down plus they can mat up and kind of seal the ground up. Shredded leaves can be applied pretty thick and they can be attractive. Best of all - no cost.

Grass Clippings -
Another freebie. I usually mulch-mow, but it doesn't hurt to bag some now and then if needed for mulch. They say you need to dry the clippings first. A way around that is just don't put them on too thick. You can always add more. Another great soil builder and worm food. Excellent for keeping weeds down.

Compost -
Often said to be prohibitively expensive. Maybe, but where I live its free - from the municipal compost facility. But they don't screen it or grind it fine enough so there is a lot of wood chunks in it. So I have to screen it myself. Takes me an hour to screen a truckload. I made a screen to fit over the back of the truckbed (leftover 2"x4"s and a roll of 1/2" hardware cloth). I throw about 15 shovels onto it, then push it around with gloved hands, then flip the wood chunks over the side. Nice and black. Very attractive. Good for the soil.

Yes I use the standard cypress mulch (or cedar if requested) and that is quick and easy. And quite appropriate for a permanent shrub installation. But for really nice gardening/landscaping, I like to use the stuff that builds the soil. (yeah I'm one of those "organic" types)

DFW Area Landscaper
12-21-2003, 05:24 PM
I've been paying $2.95 for a three cubic foot bag of Premium Shredded Cypress Mulch at Home Depot Landscape Supply. It looks awesome. Kind of a nice reddish to orange color.

At $2.95 per three cubic feet, that works out to $26.55 per cubic yard.

I've been happy with the price up til now. Not sure anymore, though. Looks like everyone else is paying a lot less.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Critical Care
12-24-2003, 02:46 AM
Interesting that some of you can go to your municipal recycler and pick up compost for free because you'll be looking at about $26 a yard out here, and these money grabbers also charge you $4 a yard to dump your green waste. Ticks me off. They'll learn because it's cheaper to get quality compost at nearly any other place in town.

Oh... and what's funny is that in other locations people pay big bucks for red cinder rock to use for mulch, but since it's under our feet out here we crush it up and spread on icy roads for traction. Needless to say, you don't see anyone in this area using it in their garderns!