PDA

View Full Version : Is 2-4-D my only prayer for fescue now?

yerturfsux
05-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Just curious what you guys think about this situation: I cleared 2 acres of five foot tall briars. (yeah, nice day that was but they paid) After the clearing, I dotted, overseeded and ferted. Now I have two foot tall briars and nice fescue! I know what really should have happened, but they wanted "green" now. Any suggestions?...And yes, in this case MY turf sux!

greenman
05-12-2003, 12:35 AM
How often are you or the owner cutting the turf? I dont see how the briars could survive if the lawn is cut about 3 inches on a weekly basis. Are the briars sparse or all over? Cut it then spray the briars.

DaddyRabbit
05-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by yerturfsux
Just curious what you guys think about this situation: I cleared 2 acres of five foot tall briars. (yeah, nice day that was but they paid) After the clearing, I dotted, overseeded and ferted. Now I have two foot tall briars and nice fescue! I know what really should have happened, but they wanted "green" now. Any suggestions?...And yes, in this case MY turf sux!

I wouldn't use any post emergent/2-4-d on new/young fescue as the growth will be stunted or worse. You will need all conditions in your favor to make it thru the summer. I'd rely on the lawn mower for now and get them later.

NCSULandscaper
05-13-2003, 02:06 AM
You can use Trimec if the new grass has been cut 3 or 4 times. Im applying alot of that right now and its doing good.