PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use a Planting Augar with Engine Drill?

Georgiehopper
05-12-2003, 08:28 AM
A few years back I used to use this tool to plant large numbers of 4 inch and 1 gallon pots. I really liked it and its a great back, wrist, and time saver. Recently I had a fellow landscaper tell me that he and his crew of 7 guys can outplant any auger..he said they were able to plant 2100 3 gallon pots in one 8 hour day by hand. ..and over 8 thousand bulbs! All by hand. Does this sound far-fetched or is it really possible for humans to outperform the machine?

DaddyRabbit
05-12-2003, 10:51 AM
he's lying to you plain and simple and probably because he doesn't have an auger or didn't think of the idea himself. We use a earthquake auger and it performs very well for the $.

Green Pastures
05-12-2003, 10:59 AM
I have an auger with a 1 3/4", 2 1/4" and 6" bits. It makes very short work of planting bulbs and potted plants.

The auger and the bits were expensive but I dont regret not getting the blisters anymore.

I planted 180 bulbs at a clients home last fall with the hand bulb planter and that was it for me. It took me about 4 hours IIRC. I can do 180 bulbs now in about 1 1/2 hours start to finish. These times are estimates as I haven't done any planting since the fall and don't really remember the exact times.

It's WAY faster and a real work saver though. Very worth the $$. I have the Echo unit that is reversible. Get one that's reversible.

bommaritro
05-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Tell your guy that I have a some planting work that I will be willing to sub out and if his guys can plant that many bulbs and pots I will give him a 2k bonus if he can get it done in 8 hours. :dizzy:

As far as augers go they a great asset to anyone who is going to be doing a large amount of plantings. If you don't have enough cash or enough work to justify buying one I would rent one if you have a large planting job.

I have an off brand 1 man hole auger similar to the earthquake. It works great doing planting and post hole digging. I believe that I have a 6" and a 12" auger end for it. Works great for planing shrubs and such. I also bought a gas powered Echo drill for building wood walls and edging but I also picked up a bulb auger for about $20 and it works great for bulbs and flats of flowers. I would say you could do the same thing with a battery powered drill and save some up front costs. These two tools have more than paid for themselves in the amount of hours that I saved as well as the amount of strain put on my body.

Ron

bob
05-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Georgiehopper
he and his crew of 7 guys can outplant any auger..he said they were able to plant 2100 3 gallon pots in one 8 hour day by hand. ..and over 8 thousand bulbs! All by hand.

This is like that ad for "SnapShot" that shows dozens of workers weeding beds by hand. It would be cheaper to buy a gas auger, and use 3 or 4 workers for this job.

TurfGuyTX
05-13-2003, 11:57 PM
I have an Echo w/ reverse and love it. For large beds of color and bulbs, it can't be beat. The guys can't keep up with it.

mdvaden
05-14-2003, 04:05 AM
One thing about augers - those are unprofessional if the soil has substantial clay content.

In areas like much of Portland, Oregon, augers cause a "glazing" or soil compaction around the edge of the hole.

If soil is loose, this may not be an issue. But for most of west Oregon, an auger is a disaster for future root growth and plant health - it would be considered the tool of an ignorant, unlearned laborer as opposed to a learned horticulture person.

ProMo
05-14-2003, 08:59 AM
i got a 4" auger bit for my drill and thought i would run the batteries down to quick but it just keeps going

KerryB
05-14-2003, 09:04 AM
I have been toying with the idea of buying the Stihl drill and augers.
Was wondering if it would be worth it.

bommaritro
05-14-2003, 09:20 AM
mdvaden

We have run into some high clay areas and to resolve the glazing/compaction issue after the hole is dug out we score the edges of the hole with a shovel which release the compacted soil to the bottom of the hole the we break it up in the bottom. We have never had a problem with root growth or plant health.

Ron

Georgiehopper
05-14-2003, 09:51 AM
I would say in areas of high clay, that anything will compact and glaze the soil. Its a judgement call. I've seen hand dug holes that would qualify as bathtubs for plants because the people digging the holes didnt bother roughing up the sides and bottoms.

stslawncare
05-14-2003, 10:20 AM
a fellow landscaper from the firehouse has a drill with an auger that goes on it, he paid very little money for it and he said it works great. he uses a 3 man crew and they get a lot accomplished.

turfquip
05-14-2003, 07:40 PM
I love my Stihl auger. It goes with me on every install job.

I agree with a previous response that even a spade would glaze the sides of a hole dug in heavy clay. There is no substitute for good common sense when planting.