PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' 'bout a new rig...

DaleL
05-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Here's the deal: I currently run a 1996 C30 Chevy cargo van (138,000 miles) and have a two hundred gallon herbicide tank with enough room to carry 15-20 bags and a spreader. I like the idea of having the tank and engine protected from weather and theft. I don't like the smell that is constantly there. Visibility is very limited with a van. Oh, and it's NOISY!

I am looking at moving into other markets that could increase the amount of miles I currently put on the truck. Thought a cab-over diesel would fit the bill! The problem I'm having is how do I configure the new one to provide:

good visibility
tank protection
dry storage

Anybody here run the cab-over with suggestions? Thanks for your replies and feel free to give opinions (as I know you will!)

DaleL

fblandscape
05-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Just find yourself a PHC rig. If buying new, go to the dealer and tell them you want a rig which can hold: XYZ

mr.lawnzap
05-12-2003, 05:46 PM
isuzu npr cab over diesels are great for weed and fert and lots more,theyre more heavy duty than any regular one ton pickup yet its like driving a car,they have a tighter turning radius than a mustang believe it or not. the 4 cylinder turbo diesel is fuel effecient and strong , trucks also come with pto for spraying.i drove one for three seasons and compared to the dodges and fords and chevys the visibility is on another level they cant match,look on trucks here on this site and isuzu is in there if youre interested

DaleL
05-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by fblandscape
Just find yourself a PHC rig. If buying new, go to the dealer and tell them you want a rig which can hold: XYZ

OK, I have to ask: What is a "PHC" rig?!:confused:

DaleL

fblandscape
05-12-2003, 11:06 PM
PHC = Plant Health Care. It's basically a truck which is loaded with several different tanks for doing multiple applications at one site, or at various sites.

Runner
05-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Whatever you end up with, just keep yourself seperated and in a different compartment from the chemicals. This is NOT healthy to be breathing all day everyday.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-14-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
isuzu npr cab over diesels are great for weed and fert and lots more,theyre more heavy duty than any regular one ton pickup yet its like driving a car,they have a tighter turning radius than a mustang believe it or not. the 4 cylinder turbo diesel is fuel effecient and strong , trucks also come with pto for spraying.i drove one for three seasons and compared to the dodges and fords and chevys the visibility is on another level they cant match,look on trucks here on this site and isuzu is in there if youre interested

Whats a regular 1 ton pickup? It that a 11k or 12k GVW. Those NPrs also come with a 11k gvw so that would be almost usless to have an 8,000+ truck that will hold a measily 3,000#.

The NPR with a 14,050 GVW are 1.5 ton truck. 14k to 19k is 1.5 ton class.

Not all of them have a tight turning radius, the 151" wb truck will no way turn the same as the 109" wb truck.

Truck does not come with a PTO, it has a PTO provision, that is a $1300 option you must add from after market, then you can add the $3000 pump on it next. So does that come with it? BTW if you do get it, get the electric engaugment PTO.

The NPR gets about 13-14 mpg.

Buy a used TGCL truck if that's what you are looking for, there is a guy on ebay that sells them. Search my posts.

Not trying to be too much of a d***, but you gotta watch out for what you buy cause these trucks do not come with many of the options we would want as standard equipment. And good luck finding a pre '95 with A/C.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-14-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by fblandscape
Just find yourself a PHC rig. If buying new, go to the dealer and tell them you want a rig which can hold: XYZ New is $40k

mr.lawnzap
05-22-2003, 01:13 AM
isuzu nprs are superior in every way to any one ton pickups, 109 wheelbase turns tighter than 151 wb no kidding lawngodnot! nprs 1.5 ton truck come with a 3year / unlimited mileage warranty several options for keeping materials and equiptment dry for lawn trucks available from isuzu, drive it for three years get a new one like tg cl .

LAWNGODFATHER
05-22-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
lawngodnot!Alright mr lawnzap killer, you spelled my name wrong.

New NPR with spray body and pumps, tank ready to roll how much?

How about $37,000 for truck and body, add the $8,000-$13,000 for tank(s), pump(s), pto, and plumbing.

Yes, I know my sh!t, do you?

The unlimited mileage is worthless for 3 years, I guarantee you won't come close to hitting the milage on any lawn spray truck before the time part of the warranty expires.

He is what I did, took a IHC lo pro, put a 10' flat bed on it with bulkhead, out a 200gal skid sprayer on it, built sides, put the PG unit on it's carry rack on back and carry a tarp to cover fert bags if rain is casted. Had yet to get one bag of fert wet.

You best bet is to buy a use TGCL truck or a cube van and set it up your self.

For the record TGCL leases their trucks, the only reason they arre getting new ones, is they have to to maintain their contract for their leases.

mr.lawnzap
05-22-2003, 01:56 AM
8-13 k for pumps,pto,tank, and plumbing sounds a little high lgf, since you know it all could you explain that 13 grand statement

The Lawn Crew
05-22-2003, 09:23 AM
We have seen a new Ford E-350 extended van with a 7.3 liter diesel carrying a 300 gallon , skid-mounted tree spray set-up with 400' of 1/2 hose mounted up front. Hose reels out through side doors. JD9 Gun.

In the back is enough room to carry all the fertilizer you could use in a day, seed, a Lesco spreader, backpack sprayer and buckets for seed & extra fertilizer.

Van is unmarked to avoid hassles from the DEC, who are now in a search and find mode.

Van can also be configured to look parkway legal, to cut down on using secondary roads to get your route done.

Hope this helps. Van w/tax+ $33,000; Sparay unit installed: $5400.

fblandscape
05-22-2003, 06:19 PM
LGF, please find me a new PHC rig for $40,000 :o I was quoted by the dealer $60,000.00

LAWNGODFATHER
05-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Sorry I was referring to truck and body....

Mr Lawnzap Killer, the "PTO" pump itself are $3,000 each, and the pto provision hook up is $1,300.

You do your own math, and it was a range from $8,000 to $13,000 so you don't read and comprehend to well.

Lawn Crew, that's the way to go, easy, simple, effective, and light on the budget.

Turfdude
05-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by The Lawn Crew

Van is unmarked to avoid hassles from the DEC, who are now in a search and find mode.

Van can also be configured to look parkway legal, to cut down on using secondary roads to get your route done.

Now how smart is that really?? When you get caught and/or inspected - you'll be screwed for not having all the proper labeling and identification. Please - do the right thing and avoid giving our profession a bad image!