PDA

View Full Version : A Bid and then a Cancelation

Dstosh
05-12-2003, 08:17 PM
I placed an add in a local paper and Recieved a call today and I go over to this ladys house and take a walk around she has about 150-200(est) feet of beds to be edged, mulched and such. She makes me out this whole list so I quoted her 300 bucks plus the price of mulch. Which after I figured it out I really under quoted her it should have been around 350 she even told me that it was a "fair" price and i thought so too. Now dont all of you go telling me that i should charge double as much and yadda yadda. But i went and quoted another job same deal just a bit smaller. Anyways my brother tells me that this lady calls me back and tells him that she doesnt want it done. So i call her and she says she is going to have her daughters boyfriend do a little at a time. I couldnt beleive it. I am just starting out and can use all of the work that i can get and I was getting upset because i havent got any calls and all of the sudden i get one and then i get a call back saying that it doesnt want to be done...WTF:angry:

BRL
05-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Welcome to Business! Sorry to hear about that. Keep your head up & keep on trying & bidding. Good luck. If it makes you feel better, I had the same thing happen this week, only its around $15,000.00 worth of work. So if I can recover from that I'm sure you'll survive ;) :cry: < that was me LOL.

Dstosh
05-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks, BRL it does make me feel a little better..I am still new at this pricing buisiness so it gets kind of awkard for me when i quote a price. Thanks alot

yerturfsux
05-12-2003, 10:31 PM
And I'll throw you another curve. I got several jobs this week which are forcing me to find about 20k to keep one of them. It consist of a very large entrance. All in all, the job will end up costing around 75k. The kicker? I started this business 3 months ago.

Georgiehopper
05-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Thats how things can go sometimes. One thing I have found, (though it doesnt apply in your particular case this time), is the more time you give a customer to rethink their decision, the more likely they are to cancel.

Also, running ads in the paper can often have people calling who are just going to shop you, so you have to be ready for that.
That woman probably told her daughter about you coming to do work for her, and put her on a guilt trip.

Forget about those ones and move on. It will happen again too...just dont let it bother you.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Get this i priced out a one time spring clean up at $600. The lady told me that a guy gave her a price of $400. Two weeks goes by she calls me again to get an estimate for a spring clean up. Hello I gave you one already!!! She needed to keep better track of the landscapers she called. Then she called again on Sunday saying the she would like to move forward on the work. I called her back on Monday and she said that she was going with another company. I have been in this game for 15 years and still get those type of people here and there. Don't feel bad it makes your day go by.:blush:

DaddyRabbit
05-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by yerturfsux
And I'll throw you another curve. I got several jobs this week which are forcing me to find about 20k to keep one of them. It consist of a very large entrance. All in all, the job will end up costing around 75k. The kicker? I started this business 3 months ago.

And I'll throw you a curve worse than the one you threw, better hope that check don't bounce as soo many seem to w/jobs that big. I'd make damed sure to acquire money/funds to begin the project to give the client that " vested interest appeal" ;)

blafleur
05-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Keep at it, some people who call us arent serious about having someone do the work, they are just curious about the cost, but most are serious. You may be better off not getting it, those type of people are sometimes the hardest to deal with.

Bryan

yerturfsux
05-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Checks don't bounce from guys building 30 houses in their 100th neighborhood...But thanks for the positive outlook!

blafleur
05-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Checks don't bounce from guys building 30 houses in their 100th neighborhood...But thanks for the positive outlook!

I would never assume that. The hardest person I ever had collecting money from was one of the biggest commercial property builders in Dallas. He said he had a hard time collecting his money so subs had to wait too. He told me that the bigger the money, the harder it was to get paid. Im sure I was getting a little of the runaround but there is probably a good bit of truth in it.

Bryan