PDA

View Full Version : Sod over Dimension

crs
05-12-2003, 07:59 PM
I am in a situation where I will need to lay fescue sod over an area that was treated with dimension about 7 or 8 weeks ago.(don't ask:cry: )

I was planning on tilling the area and raking it out. Does anyone have any other suggestions that would help in the breakdown of the pre-emergent barrier and the establishment of the roots.

Also, I have never laid more that a few patches of sod at a time so I am open for any other suggestions you may have as well to help with quick establishment.

Thanks

DaddyRabbit
05-12-2003, 08:50 PM
CRS, I wouldn't chance it but that's just me. Why were you or someone else applying a pre emergent this time of yr?

crs
05-13-2003, 06:54 PM
The Dimension was applied the last week of March along with Lesco three way ester. The air temps were in the low to mid seventies but it was a really clear day and and most all of the turf in direct sunlight was severely damaged. So I am in a position where I have to do something now.

I thouhgt that tilling the top 4 to 5 inches of the soil would destroy enough of the pre-emergent barrier the the sod would have a chance

mr.lawnzap
05-13-2003, 07:03 PM
its my understanding that pre-ems should not be applied to cool season turfs, so thats probly why its damaged, as late in the seson as it is and with the chemicals residual effects your gonna have a tough time re-establishing fescue with sod or seed. your only hope is cool weather for a while. thats my expierience in my region down south here.

DaddyRabbit
05-13-2003, 07:07 PM
CRS, you're in one more tough spot man and I feel for you but it will look double bad if you install the sod and it kicks the can when the heats really kicks in high gear. You make the call but don't know if a warranty is in order or implied. Good luck to you.

crs
05-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Lawnzap, all of the pre-m's I have ever used have been labeled for cool season grasses. I have never had a problem with a pre-emergent damaging cool season grasses.

The damage came from the ester volitalizing.

The residuals from the post emergent should not cause any problems at this point. I am mainly concerned with the pre-emergent inhibiting root growth.

The "weed guru" at the local university said that tilling should nullify the effects of the dimension but I was looking for some more opinions.

Thanks for the input.

mr.lawnzap
05-13-2003, 09:23 PM
ive seen pendamethalin toast my former bosses lawn twice! its a fescue lawn and it smoked it,no i didnt do it his general manager did it , it was applied at proper rates ,just cant do it here, we spot treat fescue areas as needed but do not pre-em fescue. dimension may be different story but i still wouldnt do it on fescue

strickdad
05-15-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by DaddyRabbit
CRS, I wouldn't chance it but that's just me. Why were you or someone else applying a pre emergent this time of yr? im with daddy rabbit, dimension useually has at least a 4 month residual on it. you may be better off waiting till fall..

stxkyboy
05-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Alright guys u missed a mojor point .....its a pre emergant.....So unless ur putting down seed there shouldnt be a problem. Although tilling it might be a good idea if ur worried the sod may get burned out from residual chemicals(i cant see how it would though)

Jason Rose
05-16-2003, 12:21 AM
We did exactly that last spring, spread demension and then laid sod right over the top of it (fescue) worked great, no crabgrass poking through the seams all summer. I called the sod supplier first, and they thought I was dumb for asking. "the sod is already established, a PRE emergent will not harm it" they said. Sounds logical to me! The lawn went in great, and it was the first large sod job I ever got to work on.

Ilovegreen
05-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Jason hit the nail right on the head, not to mention that the dimension has allready been in the soil for eight weeks and if you have had as much rain this spring as my area, that dimension is only good for another 4-8 weeks depending on the rate you used.

Hamons
05-16-2003, 02:40 PM
Ok --here's the problem wit what you have said.

Dimension is a preeemrgent -- true. However, the active ingredient in Dimension, dithiopyr, enters plants through their crowns, roots and shoots. The major site of physiological activity is within developing plant tissues found in the growing points of roots and shoots of susceptible plants. The mode of action is inhibition of mitotic cell division, or the inhibition of cell development and growth.

From the research I've done it seems to effect mature roots the same -- therefore -- it would severely limit the rooting of any sod you laid down.

I would follow the label and wait a minimum of 3 months. only 4 more weeks!