PDA

View Full Version : Jap. Maples

Gene $immons
05-13-2003, 10:23 PM
I have been awarded a contract to plant 5 Large Jap. Maples which will be planted in very large ( say 200+ gallon) concrete pots which are located in the lobby os an office building.

As for the soil medium, I am using a general purpose topsoil with a light amount of organic humus. I was wondering if the large concrete planters need to be able to have some type of drainage, or should some absorbing material be put in first. My concern is that a fungus or rotting may occur. Or will total soil be OK?

Lanelle
05-13-2003, 11:14 PM
You need to provide drainage. The simplest way is to place gravel in the bottom, covered with a layer of woven landscape fabric. There are also products such as Miradrain by Mirafi that can be installed around the sides of the container to provide drainage.

johnhenry
05-13-2003, 11:23 PM
Be careful on the warranty of the jap maples.We purchase ours from sanders's in tulsa. But they dont do very well in the ozarks or oklahoma.Make sure you have the best jap you can buy.The life span here for jap maples is 10 years

mdvaden
05-14-2003, 03:00 AM
If you feel like brushing up, there is a book plainly titled JAPANESE MAPLES, by an expert on them.

I sold mine, and don't remember the author, but it should be easy for a bookstore to look up.

A big store probably stocks it, and you could skim through it in the store. Its about $45.

One thing, good soil is probably better than sandy soil. Sand takes up space. Its basically tiny rock.

I'd probably go the soil and organic matter route.

AGLA
05-14-2003, 05:56 AM
Are you planting these indoors?

Gene $immons
05-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the input. I will line the bottom with the gravel and the fabric.

These are inside a lobby and the light requirements will work for this particular situation. I will take some photos to provide later.

Thanks,

Gene Simmons

KerryB
05-14-2003, 02:42 PM
You may want to use some Hortisorb in the pots. These little cristals hold a lot of water and release it as the soil drys out.

AGLA
05-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Don't Japanese Maples need a dormant period that they will not get indoors? I don't know, but I would think so. Does anyone know from experience if they will survive a year 'round situation? I would think not.

Gene $immons
05-14-2003, 10:44 PM
I guess i needed to include more detail. These large concrete planters are also able to be rolled around and will pe placed in a protected courtyard during the cooler months. This was one of the first concerns that I also had. This company has lots of money, and will likely have other decorating plans for the space in the winter. Maybe I can sell them some Christmas trees at that time :p

Kohls Landscaping Co
05-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Are the concrete pots new?? I made hyper tuffa pots (which are similar to concrete), but before being able to plant plants in them, the pots have to be flushed out repeatedly because of a "toxic" substance within concrete (sorry i can't remember the name). Anyways, I wouldn't want all the jap. maples to die because of a reason such as that. Just my two cents...

bobbygedd
05-16-2003, 08:48 PM
gean simmons? didnt u used to be in a singing band at one time?

Gene $immons
05-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Congratulations bobbygedd. You are the first person to make the connection that I like the band Kiss.

I like to remain anonymous on boards like these.

bobbygedd
05-16-2003, 09:23 PM
you mean, people really like the band kiss? ive heard of them, ok, ok, when i was a teenager, i listened to them, but like them? nah. then i discovered jerry garcia, and the ciggarettes with no filters, and this, was good

Gene $immons
05-16-2003, 09:38 PM
My guilty pleasure - KISS

JasperStorm
05-17-2003, 06:18 AM
Ha ha.

KISS "Alive" was the first album I ever bought with my own money, when I was in fourth grade.

Pretty big accomplishment, being that it's a double album.

blafleur
05-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Just curious, when the plants are indoors, where will the pots drain to. Do they have drain grates the pots will sit on.

Bryan

Gene $immons
05-17-2003, 08:41 PM
There is no drain. I am including roughly 10" of pea gravel under some fabric as suggested by Lanelle. The watering of the maples will be done by hand, and I think the gravel will be able to store the excess well. I imagine that it will always be moist at the bottom.

blafleur
05-18-2003, 07:43 AM
There is no drain. I am including roughly 10" of pea gravel under some fabric as suggested by Lanelle. The watering of the maples will be done by hand, and I think the gravel will be able to store the excess well. I imagine that it will always be moist at the bottom.

Doesnt this create a potential for root problems if the bottom of the pot never drains. They would have to really monitor the moisture in the pot before watering.

Bryan

AGLA
05-18-2003, 09:25 AM
I would not put a Japanese Maple indoors. ... But that is just me.

Gene $immons
05-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the input. The job begins on Monday and we are excited to give this a try. The company owner is a multi millionaire, and he wants Japanese maples. Nothing else. I spoke with him about possible troubles and he is not going to hold us responsible if the trees fail. I think it will work. I will have some pics for later.