PDA

View Full Version : spraying with a chance of rain

1stclasslawns
05-13-2003, 10:48 PM
With the weather we have had around us latly I have been reluctlant to spray. And now I find myself a ways behind on applications. we do have some chance of rain tomarrow and I can't mow because of an inch today.

I am going to use a sticker and tri-mec with some pendimethilum, any tips from some of you who have been in the business for a while?

Jim

mr.lawnzap
05-13-2003, 11:02 PM
why putting pre-emergant down this late? if you were just putting down pre-ems alittle rain is a good thing, but if youve got trimec in your mix it will probably not kill any weeds if raining.by the way its called pendamethalin.

mr.lawnzap
05-13-2003, 11:20 PM
i was also thinking why name it naturalawn if you use chemicals? you dont seem very knowledgeable about them . are you even certified?

greenman
05-13-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
why putting pre-emergant down this late? if you were just putting down pre-ems alittle rain is a good thing, but if youve got trimec in your mix it will probably not kill any weeds if raining.by the way its called pendamethalin.

Ok, Mr. Know- It-All. guess I could learn alot from you, you even have a BS. I, too, just finished putting down Pre-M. It's my second split-application for the spring. So what if he mis-spelled it. I agree with you on the Trimec.

greenman
05-13-2003, 11:42 PM
i was also thinking why name it naturalawn if you use chemicals? you dont seem very knowledgeable about them . are you even certified?

Just because someone is certified, does not mean the he or she will know everything about it. You should know that alot of it comes from experience. How long have you been in biz? Oh, BTW, AR is considered the NATURAL state.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-14-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by naturalawn

I am going to use a sticker and tri-mec with some pendimethilum, any tips from some of you who have been in the business for a while?

Use the max rate on the sticker, read the label and find the rainfast, depending on the weather your rainfast could be cut in half, meaning dry time.

With the sticker, you have a good chance of minimal wash off. Heck I think you get better coverage with approaching moisture, and wet leaves.

1stclasslawns
05-14-2003, 06:28 AM
LGF, Greenman Thanks for the help, I just looked at the radar and I'll wait for a while today but I think it'll be ok later in the day.

Jim

Mr. lawnzap, I am certified, HOWEVER, I am also willing to ADMIT I do not know everything about them. I am using this forum as a resource the way it was intended. I am drawing on the vast experience of those willing to HELP. This is my first year to be certified and I don't wish to screw anything up. BTW I also am putting down a split application of preM. If you are so smart you would know about split applications. But I can see by your profile you haven't been around here for long, and your young to boot. Sir, your advice will not be taken seriously by anyone untill you have proven yourself to others on this board, and smart*** comments will not get you far. I've been on this forum about as long as youve been in business and a word of advice if you cant help don't post.

pilotcoplawnboy
05-14-2003, 06:57 AM
Right on, brother!

LawnMagic1
05-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Naturalawn....I notice that you said you were certified. Do you not have to have a liceanse to spray in Arkansas? Trimec with a sticker will probally work but you are still taking a chance of losing it's effectiveness with all the rain we are having. But hey its worth a try...you can always re-spray. Also, I think its just a little late to be spraying pre-m's. What zone are you in?

Later!:waving:

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 05:24 PM
its a waste of time to spray any thing in the rain exept pre-ems thats common sense , put it down right and theres no need for split apps. no need to get pissy because someones right. just because youve been in business for a while doesnt mean jack,before i went out on my own my former general manager who was certified and had been in this line for a while was one of the least knowledgeable and sorriest applicators i have ever seen.so if you think your special because youve been on this site for so long your wrong. if youve been doing this for so long why ask us if you should spray in the rain? you should already know those answers. by the way i feel soory for you if your a razorback fan. if you want to argue about split apps bring it on, thers 2 schools of thought to the subject, especially if your still using pendamethalin instead of dimension

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 05:40 PM
green man from what i see here you only done this three years!! iv done it for five so i got a couple seasons on you youll definitely run into some things in in between now and when youve gotten my expierience, two seasons dont seem like alot but youll see. for your info i do have adegree in horticulture from oklahoma state , working on a bachelors as we speak so instead of you razorbacks being so defensive maybee you should try to listen to me and other educated people on here. i and no doubt many others on here have plenty of field expierience to go along with the education so dont try to critique me!

crs
05-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Mr. lawnzap,

According to a post you made on another thread you stated that pre-emergents kill cool season grasses and that you were not familiar with dimension.

Which is it?

1stclasslawns
05-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Lawn magic yes I am licensed, as a matter of fact I am the only lawn guy in my town that is.

Lawnzap, I read in another post you were using team pro, so why the quick mention of deminsion? As it so happens a split application of pend. far more effective then a single dose, also some of the lawns I did today are new customers, and their lawn has not been sprayed EVER! nice sod but not treated. I am trying to reduce theposibility of recalls. And I do know that it is a waste of time to put anything other then pre M down in the rain, What I was asking for was advice on the best surfactiant to use with a chance of rain. An answer like Lawngodfather gave me.

All I got from you was a hard time and a smart *** attitude. I am not getting pissy from your answer I am getting pissy from your know it all attitude. For your information I have over 15 years in the lawn care field and 3 years in the pest control industry in household pest control and termite control, along with being a former truck driver and a 15 years on the fire dept. I have put up with all the attitude I care to put up with. As I said before I was here before this was called lawnsite. I remember greats like ERICELM and LAZER, and I remember a couple like you, and larwence stone.

Like I said before I asked a simple question and got a smart assed answer.

Jim

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 07:11 PM
first off crs, i have never said im not familiar with dimension,its obviously a good product, just so darn expensive,naturalawn any surfactant is good surfactant, if it might rain mix it strong....common sense. so you kill bugs woopty doo good for you, if you make a livin doin it good!

GroundKprs
05-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Mr. naturalawn, if anyone knows it all, and charges less than $5000/hr for his advice, he is a liar.

In case you missed a recent thread on rain, here is <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=411780#post411780">my recent post to MowEd's question</a>. And I've only been at it for 20 some years, and still can't charge the $5000/hr, LOL. So take my free advice with your own grain of salt.

KirbysLawn
05-14-2003, 08:41 PM
its a waste of time to spray any thing in the rain exept pre-ems thats common sense , put it down right and theres no need for split apps.

I think the question was "with a chance of rain", not in the rain. As for split apps, would the target pest, climate, and temp have anything to do with it?

I have used split apps for years, works great. With a warm season of 7 months and a time coverage of 5 months at the most with a single app, split apps give a longer Dimension barrier and spliting the nitrogen also gives a more controlled growth.

In this climate what do you think would happen in the 2 months late in the summer not protected by a pre-m?

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 09:10 PM
kirby iv read your posts here and looked at your site and it was all top notch stuff as far as your work,as for split apps i put down pre-ems in spring (march,april)and an app for fall(sep,oct)and have had no problems in late summer because my yards are whipped into good shape by then and theturf is dense andstrong . however in situations were a yard is particularly bad i have used split apps to great effect, im not bashing a useful tactic but i thinkmore is not always better. i might not have stressed enough how important each of our various areas weather patterns , temps,rainfall amounts,etc,etc , affects how well these herbicides control the various weeds which im sure is different from say wreere your at kirby. as for everybody else it seems as though this morphed into an argument, so to anyone offended somehow by me all apoligies. i would like to ask you guys have you ever had pendamethalin toast a fescue lawn, iv seen it twice in the past by a former employer on the owners personal lawn, and i was trained by the most highly respected applicator in this region and he said itl kill fescue here, im scared to death of spraying pre-em in fescue areas, feedback is appreciated.

KirbysLawn
05-14-2003, 09:44 PM
My point was splits are good for some, because you or I don't use it does not mean it's not right. If you apply Pre-M's in Spring and fall when do you seed?

Here is a fescue lawn sprayed with Dimension pre-emergent, no problems here.

http://unionturf.com/rays/super%20z%20sousa%203.JPG

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 10:07 PM
lawn looks great kirby,what about pendamethalin? i saw it sprayed on a full and established healthy fescue lawn at reccomended rates i guess, and it killed the whole thing then this guy goes out again later that fall and did the same thing again!! he got fired not to long after. is there some factor here that we may be missing that causes this to happen here, tulsa here is right in the transistion zone and our weather acts a little weird sometimes, iv read on the labels its cool- turf capable but since that little happening i havent done it. as for when i seed i dont have any entirely fescue lawns so in bermuda it gets pre em and fescue areas dont like under trees, and shady areas it gets hot as hell and humid in the summer here so the fescue would die in the open. and thers no problem with the seeding because it not sprayed with pre-em.

philk17088
05-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Nice Lawn, Kirby's

I used trimec with Surf-Aid and it started to rain after I sprayed an acre of a 2 acre job last friday. i went back Monday after another day of rain(Sat) and the weeds were stareting to curl, it was very effective even with 1/2 hr dry time. I'll have to wait and see if it will kill them the whole way. I'd take the chance with spraying just to try and stay ahead.

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 10:31 PM
philk did you know rain was 30 min out ? and if you did would you spray ?

LAWNGODFATHER
05-14-2003, 11:00 PM
I will spray in a slight mist to light rain, sticker does wonders.

Will I get 100% control, never nothing is 100%, but I get good enough to stay in the game.

BTW I am going to do split apps of Barricade and Dimension on crabgrass problem lawns.

Oh and apping pendimethalyne does not kill grass, bad applicator/mixer killed the grass.

ZX12R
05-14-2003, 11:08 PM
I use super trimec with a sticker if rain is predicted. I have found that if the spray dries before a rain,you will be ok unless you get a very heavy thunder storm which will diminish the chemicals effect. Like lgf said,you probably will not get 100 %,but,hey,there are to many other things to get accomplished than waiting for nice sunny days.:p

philk17088
05-15-2003, 08:38 PM
philk did you know rain was 30 min out ? and if you did would you spray ?

No, the weather report as I pulled up on the job called for clearing skies. I wouldn't spray intentionally in a rain, but I've finished jobs as it was starting to spit. I always check them out to make sure the material is working later.

Now, how does everybody handle wind?

Last week it was rain this week it was wind and rain!:blob2: