PDA

View Full Version : Staying Organized

Georgiehopper
05-14-2003, 09:44 AM
When we are really busy, sometimes organization goes right out the window. I have used print outs, erasable boards, and software programs to try and stay organized...but sometimes I have customers who seem to fall through the cracks.

How do you guys keep it together when things are in a mad rush?

kels
05-14-2003, 10:19 AM
schedule wise, I use a Palm Pilot no customers have been passed as of 2 seasons, the key is to schedule the person for the next service after you have completed the task and before you leave that property no matter what your method of scheduling is.

walker-talker
05-14-2003, 10:52 AM
I feel your pain....it just takes constant work.

MATT

scott's turf
05-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Palm pilot here too. My employees log in the time at each job and can referece the address book if they forget where the place is. Great tool just remember to back it up frequently.

Georgiehopper
05-14-2003, 11:22 AM
I know nothing about those palm pilots...are they like PDAs or are they more involved than that?

What is a good one to use?

kels
05-14-2003, 11:37 AM
a Palm Pilot is a PDA, I use the m515 but there are many to choose from, whatever fits your budget, they take a little getting use to but do a fantastic job (for me).

Georgiehopper
05-14-2003, 12:10 PM
What can a person expect to pay for one of those? and do they come with software?

kels
05-14-2003, 12:27 PM
this will better help you
www.palm.com

drobson
05-14-2003, 11:56 PM
I use a palm pilot too. They go anywhere from $100 to $1000 depending on which one you get. But a basic model is great to start out with. It will get you organized and if you really like it you can upgrade to one with all the bells and whistles...

tiedeman
05-15-2003, 12:58 AM
I just use my microsoft calendar and a good pad of paper:p

Jimmy348
05-20-2003, 01:33 PM
PDA's or personal data assistant (same thing). Palm pilot is actually a brand of a pda and it is the operating system of many others.

100' of different brands but they all pretty much do the same thing. Prices will range from $100 to $1,000 and you can get different accesories also. Some have camera attachments, most have full size keyboards that you can connect and the top of the line models have integrated modems so that you can communicate wirelessly. (internet access just like your computer at home-but with a modest fee attached)

Some newer PDA's even have integrated cellular telephones. Most all have a sync option that will allow you to transfer data from your pda to your computer at home with the connection of a wire or cradle and the push of a button.

I use a pda that operates windows based programs. (word, outlook, etc.) I use microsoft excel to organize my jobs (but im a real small guy so you may need a program more specific to the industry). My customer's information, costs and so forth go into the pda directly after the cut and then at the end of the day i sync the pda with my computer at home. The sync takes all the information from the pda and puts it on the computer at home.

For quality reasons i would purchase in the $200-$500 range but its your choice. (you wouldn't spend $100 for the wall mart trimmer now would you?) Also, look for a bright screen and expandable memory. Battery life should be a priority as well. You will love it and i would hate to see you fork out $100 (you get what you pay for) on something that you will want and need to upgrade on in the very near future. Just my .02.

Check out www.cnet.com
When you get to the site click on "handhelds"
You may also perform a search on "pda"

Good luck (you'll wonder how you managed without one)