PDA

View Full Version : help! next year i'll start putting down weed and feed apps

jeff_0
05-14-2003, 08:07 PM
i wanted to know what type of chemcail mixture do most people use? what do most charge per 1000 sq ft? yes i do have a pesticide app license.. just don't have much experience doing it. I've only put down scotts fertilizer. any help would be appricated.

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 08:47 PM
have you thought about maybee working for someone local for a season to kinda learn the ropes? if you mow you might be able to do it on the side and use what you learn as you learn it to treat your customers lawns.

jeff_0
05-14-2003, 09:43 PM
i thought about doing that but i have close to 30 customers now for mowing and i work a full time job at night. So i don't really have the time for it.. i work at night for verizon so i get a good amount of time to read post on this forum.. but i don't have the time to work for someone.

Turf Medic
05-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Talk to your local county extension office or whatever it is in MD. Since you have plenty of time in the evenings at your job you will be able to study up to take the exams for your license. Then talk to your local supplier, most of the more knowledgable ones will be able to help you out with what products are being used locally. Your county extension office should also be a real help in this area also.

mr.lawnzap
05-14-2003, 10:32 PM
i did exactly what i recomended to you and im glad i did,i was like you when i started, i didnt even know the diff between bermuda and fescue and was amazed at how many variables ther is in it, im not sure if these guys will just tell you everything. i myself can tell you to study this hardcore because you will find the answers. i had 25 lawns in my off-time so it can be done, call a lawn company that sprays in your area and have them comeout to give you a evaluation and pick there brains about "what chems would you spray" "how much do you spray"etc,etc,etc .you can if you read very carefully know how much to mix, what you shouldnt and should spray spray with it and stuff like that by simply reading labels on the chemicals.

KirbysLawn
05-14-2003, 11:02 PM
I avoid weed & feed apps; giving a more balanced program and spot spraying v/s blanket app is more affordable and better for the enviroment.

Turf Medic
05-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
call a lawn company that sprays in your area and have them comeout to give you a evaluation and pick there brains about "what chems would you spray" "how much do you spray"etc,etc,etc .you can if you read very carefully know how much to mix, what you shouldnt and should spray spray with it and stuff like that by simply reading labels on the chemicals.

lawnzapp

If you call a local company, they will actually tell you what they are using and how to do the application? If someone asked me that I would tell them that I would be using the chemicals that are necessary for their particular application. I'm not really into training a potential new competitor And how do you know that the person you called actually knows what they are doing.

Jeff

Call the extension agent, talk to your lesco dealer. Check out the www.pclaa.org web site they have an excellent turf care study course available. Use the search feature on this site "these" guys will tell you a lot more than a local competitor, and have nothing to gain by misleading you. Ask detailed questions, STUDY.

rvsuper
05-15-2003, 12:15 AM
I agree with Ray. If you have nice, lush green turf there would be no need to apply a selective herbicide to kill weeds that aren't there. If you do have some weeds, spot spray them before they reach the seeding stage. Also make sure you choose the correct fertilizer to what your soil test recommends.