PDA

View Full Version : Help! Problems with the neighbors....

tom650604
05-15-2003, 07:22 PM
I was cutting my grass this morning and I happened to cut over to my neighbor lawn about a foot.

The problem is that from my garage to the border between my house and the neighbor is about 2 feet. So when I pushed my lawn mower to cut my half, the mower is wider than 2 feet and so I cut off about 1 feet or a little less of my neighbors lawn.

He at this point is not to happy about going over to his side at all. When he called me out on this he make it sound like I was stupid and don't know where the borders at. Hey, I have a Masters in Criminal Justice.

I explained that my lawn mower (any lawn mower) is wider than 2 feet and that it was the only way to cut the grass along the side of my garage. I also explained that I will cut a straight line all the way down from my garage to the street if he like to make it a straight line cut between his house and mine.

He really didn't care about my explanation except not going over to his lawn at all.

My question is what can I do?
Is this neighbor just a pain in the *** regardless you know one of those neighbors?

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

When his kids play on my yard then I will bust him on it! Because he called me out on such a dumb thing.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks,
tom650604@yahoo.com

:mad:

gogetter
05-15-2003, 09:46 PM
I would ignore him altogether. I don't have any time for some clown that is going to gripe about ONE FOOT of lawn!!

tom650604
05-15-2003, 10:40 PM
thanks gogetter!

anyone else have any suggestion?

grassdaddy
05-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Ask him if he thinks he could take ya in a fair fight?;)

TurfGuyTX
05-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Offer to let him mow your part. Otherwise, go about you business and ignore the A**hole. Alot of our customers lawns are done driveway to driveway. It get some of the neighbors lawns mowed, but keeps everything looking neat. Good luck.

tom650604
05-15-2003, 11:19 PM
thanks grassdaddy and turfguytx....I appreciate the input.

Anyone else....

Doogiegh
05-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Is it that the strip of grass is say... 30 inches wide and you're mowing 21 inches of it at your height, only to leave 9 lousy inches on his side to be cut? Or he doesn't want you doing ANYTHING with the grass that's on his side?

How much grass is on your side to be cut?

1) Weed-wack it.

2) If it can't be seen from the street, use Round-up and KILL your entire side of the lawn. You won't have to go back and touch it again until.... September? :) And he'll look at the muddy pit on your side ALL summer while he has to cut his lousy 10 inches...

Gary

dwost
05-16-2003, 12:32 AM
I'd just ditch your small mower and saddle up on any one of the fine 72" units available. Then mow a good 4-5 feet into his yard, run doubles so its louder, and begin cutting at 5:30am on Saturday AND Sunday whether it needs it or not..:) Oh, and make sure you blow the clippings into his yard......:D :D :D

Seriously, he needs to chill out. I'd just ask him what he thinks the remedy should be and try to work out an arrangement.

jason r.
05-16-2003, 12:35 AM
First off,
Why in the heck is he complaining about you cutting a little part of his yard FOR FREE! My neighbors are more than welcome to cut all or part of my lawn for me.:)

Just cut that part with a 21"er and tell him to keep his damn kids on his own property. Good luck with him. There's one in every neighborhood.

If your bigger than him, go with grassdaddys suggestions.:p

Rooster
05-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Have you or your neighbor done anything out of the ordinary for each other? If so and you were the one that did the good deed for him, politely let him know, like get the mail and pick up the newspapers, when he was out of town, etc. many things can be done.

Offer to cut his part too, at the height he prefers.

Additionally you might check with your county and see if they have a problem resolution board. In my county, there are trained volunteers with lawyers reviewing the friendly talks pro bono.

Both parties agree and a binding contract or agreement is signed and the situation is disposed of.

P.S. I'll trade you for my situation, my neighbor nice older lady had her grandson cut her grass on her riding lawn mower, the sides of our houses her is very small maybe 6 feet, her grandson is cutting her yard this evening, and come at least 25 feet into my yard driving like he is drunk, just after I finished cutting my yard at 3.5" hers was cut at about 1.5". My elderly neighbor saw what was done and said she will talk to her grandson, I told her to tell them I will cut her side yard by my house from now on, she was more then agreeable.

Rick

tom650604
05-16-2003, 06:44 AM
Thanks rooster, jason, doogiegh, and dwost.

I like that 72" unit idea....lol

Thanks for sharing some light for me, it make those hard times better.

Green Pastures
05-16-2003, 11:00 AM
What is wrong with people?? Just look at him and smile next time he speaks to you that way.

hboyd_com
05-16-2003, 04:19 PM
String trim it... it's only what... 20 ft or so and it's not worth having a neighbor pissed off at you... . or use a smaller mower.