PDA

View Full Version : Backfill basements

worthbrown
05-16-2003, 09:11 AM
I would like to use my Bobcat to backfill basements. My brother and I build 8-10 houses a year, and have been paying my excavator $80/hr to backfill with a high-lift. I would like to do this my self, even if my bobcat is only worth $40/hr and it takes twice as long, we come out even (actually ahead since cost to run bobcat is less than $40/hr). My bobcat is not very big (S185 turbo w/ 74" bucket) I am assuming it will be big enough since I will just be moving dirt. Do any of you backfill basements, and will I need tracks? Thanks in advance.

Harleyman
05-16-2003, 04:26 PM
I think it would be worth it to run tracks on your bob. Keeps the machine much more stable around fill areas. If you run with out tracks you will sink into backfill area next to basement and possiably hit wall. Not much fun. Your machine should be big enough for the job.

earthtool
05-17-2003, 04:52 PM
I believe you can put tracks on a 185 only in the skid steer mode. Like Harleyman said be careful on your approach to the foundation. Will you be attending the ICUEE Demo Expo in Sept. at the Fairgrounds?

Lawn Tek
05-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Poured walls or concrete blocks ?Easy to cave in a block wall , be careful . I would let the other guy do it , hopefully hes insured . A few bucks isn't worth the risk , but thats just my opinion

Harleyman
05-17-2003, 09:09 PM
I have filled in basement foundations with my bob and also redug them with the walls up you just have to be carefull along the wall its fun and rewarding.

worthbrown
05-18-2003, 10:37 AM
What do you mean, "only in the skid steer mode" for the tracks. I didn't know there was another mode. I don't think I will make the show, I will be out of town. My basement walls are all poured, so I should be ok. Btw, do any of you actually dig the basement with a skid steer?

earthtool
05-18-2003, 12:06 PM
Worthbrown, My bad. I had you confused with another post. In my mind I had you with a A220 all wheel steer. I forgot that the 185 took the place of the 773. Only have used a excavator for basements. But I have used a skid steer to do push outs for crawl spaces.

Silver_odd_o
06-01-2003, 11:54 AM
It all depends on the type of soil and size of the basement and how the excess dirt was stockpiled. We dig and backfill atleast 5 or 6 basements a year. Generally we use a small dozer ( IH TD7).
But if we have the trackhoe on site we'll use that and the bobcat.
We have backfilled quite a few with just a bobcat, but it all depends on the soil type ( weather you'll sink out of sight or not)
and where the dirt you'll backfill with is. When you backfill you need to do it evenly start at one end of the house and fill a couple of feet and just move down the wall till you have 2-3 feet all the way around, then start the process over again bringing it up 1-2 per time. Onthe last one we did I used a non tracked 853 in sandy soil, the main thing is to aproach your walls dirrectly and not at an angle, this decreases the pressure you'll put on it, avoid driving parralel to the wall whenever you can and never drive parallel to it on dirt you have filled in against it. if you have any questions ask and I'll do my best to help ya. Its a very feasable thing to do if you want to save a few bucks.