PDA

View Full Version : Need to locate a Time and Motion book

j9sheldon
05-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Hey all,
I am looking for a time and motion book for bidding on landscape, mowing, and irrigation. Can anyone recommend a good book or an association that will have one to buy.

thanks in advance

Green in Idaho
05-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Seek the ALCA Web site.

The problem I have such standards is they are done more on general terms rather than specific. For example: grass in Florida is not the same as grass in Oregon. How can anyone apply a measure that says it takes 1 hour to mow XX square feet of turf with a 48" deck. Okay, so what about using a slower mower, or a more efficient one.

So to make a metric, it is BEST to have something that is a local product. Along that same line it is better to have metrics based on YOUR specific situation. I run a trimmer differently than other people and feel that two different people may have a significant differnce in time to trim a 10,000 linear feet.

I think it is better to do your own personal metrics. Take a stopwatch, paper and pencil with you all of the time. If it's a new task, go try the task b4 you bid and measure your performance (or your employee's) under your situation and condition.