PDA

View Full Version : Lesco weed & feed....quality???

Envy Lawn Service
05-16-2003, 09:06 PM
I don't really have the ime or energy for a long search right now so any posts would be appreciated.

Is the Lesco weed & feed a quality product? I'm just wondering because I don't have a local Lesco and have never used any of their products. But now our Home Depot has Lesco stuff.

The price is under $20 a bag while the Scotts I usually use is right at $30 a bag. The Scotts has more N and is a 15,000 sq ft bag while the Lesco has less N and is a 12,500 sq ft bag. The savings might be worth it if it's quality stuff. But if not, why skimp on price?

Enviro Green
05-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Bear in mind I am new, but my experience typically with Scott's type products is that to get good control by applying the amount of herbicide needed you have to apply way more N than I like to see. That is why the lesco product is lower in N and probably a better product.

However, I reference you the the argument about liquid versus granular weed control the distribution of herbicide and the need for foliar contact with foliar herbicides, etc.

Hope this helps,

EG

Gr grass n Hi tides
05-16-2003, 10:05 PM
I'm getting great results with Lesco granular products. The clients are very happy. If I had a way to get photos on here I'd show you! A little three way broad leaf weed spot spraying gets the rest.

Envy Lawn Service
05-16-2003, 10:56 PM
EG,

The N issue was my first thoughts prior to trying the Scotts products. Finally someone I trust came along and convinced me to try them. As of yet, I have never ever had a burn problem with any Scotts product applied at the recommended rates or a little more. The N is truely slow release. So I don't get burns or rapid growth from it.

As far as liquid v/s granular, I can't argue that point much. I do however get great results with the granular and it does require that I have more expensive equipment to apply it evenly and quickly. The down side is that with granulars, I have to wait for those ideal conditions for application to get the maximum results.

Odin,

I think I'll take your word for it and try the Lesco once to see how it does. That is if I can ever get those ideal conditions to apply the granular. So far I haven't been able to time it out with the Scotts. It seems that every oppotunity I get to apply it to damp/wet turf, rain is expected in less than 24 hours. So I continue to wait. I have one account in particular that is in bad need. So I guess I'll have to make time for the application the 1st time conditions allow, even if than means breaking my route schedule to do it.

Piedmont Lawn
05-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Envy,

FYI there is a Lebanon dealer in Hickory Unifour Supply I think. They are right behind the Pepsi plant, guess that could be Longview. Gives you another option.....

Later
Z

timturf
05-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Liquid broadleaf control far better than granular!! Hands Down!!

You say Scotts has more n, and truely a slow release, so their shouldn't be any burn. I WOULD ASSUME any scotts product used at recommended rate, and followed label instructions, wouldn't burn. In fact, that could be proable state for almost all manufactors!!!!

I think the point is the turf doesn't need that much n in spring. If you look at scotts homeowner products, almost all too high in n, and to low in k.

Truely a slow release, ok, what % is slow and what source of slow release.

example

38-0-0 uf is 100% uf, but not 100% slow release
4 of 38 units are urea, and another 7 units are sawn, and last 27 units are win. You get 11units of n release in first 8 weeks. Other 27 units release (most of the 27 units, depends on soil temp and micro) in 8 to 24 weeks, but could take up to 52 weeks for some of hwin!!!!!!!

Look at label to see exactly how much is slow release n.

helpful or confusing?

tim

Green Pastures
05-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Granular for fert spray for weeds.

WAY better results.

Envy Lawn Service
05-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Zq8,

Thanks for the tip! I had someone else to suggest a Lebanon product to me on here before. I didn't know we had a dealer around here. Yes, he Pepsi plant is considered in Longview and I know right where it's at.

Are you using their stuff with success?

timturf,

Like I said about Scotts, I had the same thoughts before using it. Too much N and not enough of the rest. For those accounts that want/prefer/pay the extra for Scotts, I use it. But I do supplement the program with more P & K and some point in the year. I do that especially if I don't use the starter w/ over seeding and the winterizer product. (both have more P & K than the others)

As for your question about "slow release" I don't have a weed and feed package handy. But here is info off the standard turf builder to use as an example for you.

29-3-4 6% S 1% Fe 0.5 Mn

13% Urea
9.8% methylenediurea & dimethylenetriurea
5.3%ammoniacal
0.9 water insoluble

Anyways, the effects come on slow and I haven't experienced excess growth due to the N. So I don't have a problem using it and with my methods I have good results.

Now in addition, bear in mind that that I don't have tons of different products available here, especially for weed & feed. But I will be trying either Lesco or Lebanon stuff soon.

Green Pastures,

Like I said before, I can't argue the liquid v/s granular weed control. But I don't have the equipment to apply liquid effectively. That is unless we are talking Weed-B-Gone hose end sprayers!
:D

I mean some of us do have to set budgets that have annual spending limitations ;) :D

Green Pastures
05-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Green Pastures,

Like I said before, I can't argue the liquid v/s granular weed control. But I don't have the equipment to apply liquid effectively. That is unless we are talking Weed-B-Gone hose end sprayers!
:D

I mean some of us do have to set budgets that have annual spending limitations ;) :D

Envy,

Nothing wrong with hose end sprayers, they do work.

You can get a sprayer at Home Depot for like $19.95, if you can't afford that you do need help.

Annual spending limitations.....it's MAY dude! :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Envy Lawn Service
05-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Green Pastures
Envy,

Nothing wrong with hose end sprayers, they do work.

You can get a sprayer at Home Depot for like $19.95, if you can't afford that you do need help.

Annual spending limitations.....it's MAY dude! :rolleyes:

Yes, hose end sprayers do work and I have used them as a cheaper means to control weeds on smaller lawns. It works out good for that and for people with tighter budgets.

Sprayers at Home Depot for $19.95??? Nah, really I just picked myself up a new one Thursday because my old one finally passed away and I needed one quick. I snagged myself a Roundup Professional Sprayer (woooo :D ) for right around $20.

But use that to control weeds??? What do you mow, postage stamp lawns that get an occasional broadleaf here and there? Come on now! We're talking infested acreage here, not spot spraying!

Granular is a bit more productive don't you think? ;) :D

Green Pastures
05-17-2003, 09:59 PM
I've sprayed as much as 2 acres with a 5 gallon backpack sprayer. No problems just takes more time.

Are you doing lawns that are bigger than that?

If so have you thought about subbing out the spraying to somebody with a big tank?

Envy Lawn Service
05-17-2003, 10:29 PM
GP,

2 acres with a backpack sprayer? How long did that take if you recall? I've thought about a backpack, but all I've ever really saw are the ones at Home Depot or Lowes for around $100. I don't know the first thing about them or rather they are any good or not.

Right now I don't have anything over 2 acres where I am responsible for the weed control. However, I do have some good sized properties that are really weed infested badly.

hustlers
05-17-2003, 10:40 PM
just bought some lesco
momentum 0.0.7
Pure granular weed control

apply after dew, just put some done this
morning, eager to see how it works.

It was like $16 bucks for a 30 lb bag.
Covers like 14k or something

MOW ED
05-18-2003, 06:30 AM
Envy,
I was in your shoes a few years ago. I was in my first year of doing apps and a customer asked me to get rid of the "weeds" on her lawn. The lawn was about 20,000 sq ft. The weeds were mostly wild violets along with dandelion and the usual spurge, oxalis etc. I was new and thought that I would use a weed and feed as she suggested.
The result was that I had some great growth of all weeds involved because the weed killer part did absolutely nothing. The lawn greened up nice but the result was very disappointing. I still mow that lawn but she does not have anyone do any apps to it.

My second year I built a 35 gal sprayer for my Walker. (cost under 200.00)It will cover 8' per pass and I get about 50,000 sq ft out of a tank. I used Millennium Ultra and had good luck with it but it is a smelly mix. By luck my dealer didn't have any in stock when I discovered Speed Zone. Low odor, rainfast in 3 hours and man does it knock the snot out of weeds.
This spring I sprayed aprox 300,000 sq ft. for 30 customers. That is not a very big customer base but for one guy working part time it is respectable. The profit is very good. A 2.5 gal jug of Speed Zone is about 150.00. A 64,000 sq ft doctors house uses about 64 ounces of product and has a devistating effect on all weeds. Time spent 1 hour and 25 minutes. Price for ap 250.00. He wants me to spray every year since he has seen the effect of spraying.

If I would have used granular I would have applied only once and he would have seen little result except for a green up from the fertilizer. The lesson is that eventually the customer will see that the weeds are not being killed and you will lose work. You have to spray.

This isn't to discourage you or get you mad, it is sound advice from someone who started on the path like you. If you do nothing else, get a backpack sprayer and walk around a few smaller lawns and spot spray them. If you can, do half with the granular product and spray half with liquid. You will be amazed. The end result is you keeping customers because you are doing the thing that they want. Getting rid of weeds.

MOW ED
05-18-2003, 06:36 AM
pic from back. It covers an 8' swipe.

Green Pastures
05-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Envy,

It did not take me more than an hour as I always use pre-emergent in it's granular form on all my lawns. When I have to spray with a backpack sprayer for weeds it's minimal spot spraying for the toughies that get through the barrier.

Do the best you can this year and next year talk them into several pre emergent apps. Then you will be able to effecively control the stragglers with a backpack.

I did pay quite a bit more than $15 for both my backpacks, they were in the neighborhood of $100 each. I also have a small stainless steel 2 gal. sprayer dedicated for Roundup.

I'm satisfied with the results from how I do apps and so are my customers. It'll be a while before I get a big tank type spraying system.

Edited to say MowEd's system looks great. Seems like a great way to get into large scale effective spraying fairly cheaply.

Piedmont Lawn
05-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Envy,

I haven't tried the Labanon products yet. I found them a little over a month ago and my spring fert was already in. Prices are a good deal higher than standard fert and weed & feed but I guess you get what you pays fer. They also have chemicals and other turf supplies, worth a look........

Like you I need a tank sprayer but I'm kind of lost when it comes to which pump and nozzles, towed vs mower mounted. I would put one together soon if I just knew what I to get.

:confused: :dizzy:

Later
Z

Envy Lawn Service
05-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Now where do I start?.....

Zq8,

Look, thanks anyways for the heads up even though you haven't used their products yet. I checked out their site (found in Turf Mag) and I was very impressed. They have a lot of choices. The fert w/confront-trimec looks interesting.

GP,

Pre-M??? Hah!:laugh: What a laugh! I couldn't sell an app to save my life in time to help. I bet I don't have such a problem selling prevention next time around!!!

Do you know any of the brand names of your backpacks? Or any quality backpacks? THANKS!

Mow Ed,

Nice looking sprayer you have there! Looks like you invented well. I need to look into building something similar for myself for future use.

I'll comment more later on when I'm not so tired. :sleeping:

Scraper
05-19-2003, 01:04 PM
With all this nonsense chatter...I assume you are a licensed applicator Envy?

mr.lawnzap
05-19-2003, 03:22 PM
if your getting a backpack get a jacto if possible its better than my solo or sp. if you dont have a big spray rig use granular pre-em only once in the spring and again in the fall, anything in between spray with backpack.go with the lesco products there better in my opinion, dont do weed and feed it sucks only use pre-em in beggining of season and use regular n-p-k until time for fall pre-em,spray weeds as needed with backpack youll save money by using liquid chems over expensive unpredictable weed and feed ****. youll save money using regular fert and still have a green weed free yard. use the" find anything" part of this site to look up backpack sprayers , youll spend 100 bucks on a decent one but its worth it. as for multiple apps of gran pre-ems more than a couple would be a waste of money its supposed to work the first time and last for 4or 5 months,do it once and put it down heavy and youll be able to backpack stragglers, once pre-em is down theres no need to keep doing it ,switch to a reg n-p-k and save some money

John Gamba
05-19-2003, 04:20 PM
LESCO weed & Feed Granular. I hope you Have a License Mr Weed & feed
John.