PDA

View Full Version : Insect Control With Perma Green Ride-on

grassguy_
05-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Has anyone used a liquid insect control with the ride-on spreaders, I was wondering if any insecticides could be used at such a low volume spray for surface insect control?

EJK2352
05-17-2003, 02:27 AM
The PermaGreen doesn't put down enough water per K for most all insecticides. Why not just buy fert/Talstar for surface insect control and fert/Merit for sub-surface insect control???????

grassguy_
05-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Well my reasoning in being able to spray the insecticide is that it would allow me to only apply it where its needed, sunlit areas, areas prone to insect infestation, etc. rather than blankety applying to the whole lawn an insecticide where it's not needed.

EJK2352
05-19-2003, 01:09 AM
grassguy,
Check out www.fmc.com The Talstar GC Flowable label lists a 0.5 gallon per 1000 rate as the lowest rate. It also states that a minimum of .25" irrigation after application if using less than a 2 gallon per 1000 rate. You could put TF-VS5 nozzles on the PermaGreen and you'll be close to a .5 gallon per 1000 rate. But, you will have to have customers water the app. in or pray that mother nature does it for you. Maybe someone else will chime in here w/ more info. I would be leary of a .25 gallon per 1000 rate when applying insecticides.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-19-2003, 01:17 AM
But you can apply granular to those areas, close your spreader for where you "don't" want to apply them. Just don't buy it with it on the fert.

Another thing you can do is 1) calibrate for slower travel, or 2) mix at half or 1/3rd rate and apply area 2 or 3 times to "stay" legal.

I do the areas twice for Drive 75 and Manage at half rate in the PG unit.

No one said you have to run over the area once.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-20-2003, 12:31 AM
While out working today, I remebered the PG unit does 3000 sqft per a minute right?

That would mean if I was spraying 32oz per 1000, I would be spraying 96oz per a minute at the 32oz per 1000 rate.

Changing the tips wont get much more out of the pump, it is rated at 1gpm open flow, so I think it's running maxed out now.

Change the pump, nozzles and add a small batt, you should be able to, and all this for less than $150.

grassguy_
05-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Its been a consideration to change the pump to a higher volume and use a larger nozzle but without getting into all that I was just checking for an insectidie that could be applied at the qt/M spray. I know when I worked on a farm way back we had used band spraying for insect control on crops and the volume was low doing that. I just question its effectiveness on lawns. Wonder if any studies have been done on this concept?

LAWNGODFATHER
05-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Isn't banding a mist, not droplets?

grassguy_
05-24-2003, 09:18 AM
yes banding was done with a narrow fan tip tee jet nozzle, I believe like a 70 degree tip or they used a special stream tip for banding with ferts.

HBFOXJr
05-26-2003, 09:34 PM
I've done Talstar and a synthethic pyrethroid at the low volumes with NO problems. I think the case with much of this is the potential for phytotoxicity becasue of the concentration of inactive ingredients in the mix. It is probably not about product effectiveness.

Working at these low volumes successfully reqwuires that your equipment and your brain be properly calibated. There is little room for error at these volumes just like there is little room for error on a dry product requiring 2.3 lbs/K.

Personally I'm much more comfortable with with low volume liquid than low weight dry products. Lots more variables in gate openings and harder to get calibrated dry.