PDA

View Full Version : how do i do this

mikeshere89
05-17-2003, 01:15 AM
i want to learn how to build a retaining wall, some of my friends are telling me i am biting off more than i can chew, i can cut grass very well with some of the straightest lines in town and am learning more and more everyday thanks to you folks, but as far as grass,mulching,and planting i want to expand into landscaping and maybe even irrigation, my question is how do i get started? ive had people ask me to build them walls and i tell them im not experienced enough to do this, althou i believe i can i just dont want to put it on my nickel and if i **** it up im the one paying for it. so how do u guys break into new grounds? trial and error? thanx for this site thou cause its already saved me hundreds of dollars.

tiedeman
05-17-2003, 01:26 AM
if it is a retaining wall..it depends on how big it actually is. You might need a contractors license for something really big. I would first check with all of the laws first.

kris
05-17-2003, 04:25 AM
Sometimes manufactures put on workshops ... perhaps start at your own house or any relative ... lots of reading if you do a search but nothing can teach you like hands on experience.

BSDeality
05-17-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm also going to be learning how to do a retaining wall with them big bricks for around our pool, I think i know what to do, but the guy at the landscape supply place said to come in with a sketch of what i need to be done with measurements and he would sit down with me and walk me through it.

No gaurrantees your guy'll help you, but mine said he'd be glad to as long as he wasn't too busy.

Georgiehopper
05-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Many of the suppliers of wall stone have workshops and even your local Home Depot has them.

NNJLandman
05-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Usually the supplier which you buy from has some type of tutorial on how to build them. I'm sure that you would be able to find something online as how to do it. To tell you the truth its really not that hard and now a days hardscaping is a hell of a big business.

Lanelle
05-17-2003, 11:36 PM
On the one hand, its not hard to build a wall. On the other, there are site issues and geo-technical issues that you need to be aware of so that you don't try to build a wall that is doomed to fail. The more information that you gather to take with you to the supplier, the more chance of success you have.