PDA

View Full Version : Employees vs. solo

jocko1104
05-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Up until this point I have always worked solo.

Today I completed a job that I could never have done in a reasonable amount of time by hiring 4 guys that all do day labor. Price billed 20 man hours at $25/hr- $200 paid in wages. It hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks " Why was I doing this all by myself all this time?"

There have been many discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of this. My .02, is that you can never make money in this business by doing work that you can have done for $8.00/hr.

Sounds simple? Then why do we all do those terrible jobs when we can have it done.

Georgiehopper
05-17-2003, 07:36 PM
You can only make so much money doing the work yourself. There comes a time when you want to grow and to do so, you have to have some employees. Without them, you are limited.

tiedeman
05-18-2003, 12:36 AM
I will be honest with you...I actually had more money in my pocket when I was solo and had fewer employees than I do now.

Georgiehopper
05-18-2003, 07:54 AM
I guess it depends what your goals are too. If you want to make $1,000,000 in sales I don't think you can ever do that working alone. I know that I can't get past about $275,000 working alone.

My immediate goal is to make $400,000 in sales by next year...to do that I have to hire another person.

I know companies that both make $1.5 million a year in sales...one makes money, one does not. The one not making money has about 42 employees during the busy season and the one making money has about 12 employees. You have to be efficient and have good workers. The guy with 42 employees is lacking some organization and hes "bleeding" from too much overhead. The guy with 42 employees has been in business about 17 years...the guy with 12 employees has been in business for 6 years. The guy with 42 employees makes 1.5 because he HAS to, the guy with 12 employees makes 1.5 because he can.

jocko1104
05-18-2003, 05:24 PM
LMAO :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

I take it all back! Joking. But really of the 4 guys I had yesterday only 1 showed up today and he only worked 4 hours! O the woes of day labor.

I really must come up with a better strategy for retaining day labor. Perhaps pay a % of the days pay until the job is complete. I am not sure how this would go over with these types of people but if I am upfront about it and why.....

I don't know anymore. I think that everyone is on methamphetamine or something! Where do yall find good day help at?

crazygator
05-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Being solo is the only way I will be in business. Oh ok, I might hire my wife...hahaha

This causes me no employee problems. Dont have to worry when they dont show up, or who didnt do the right maintenance on the equipment, or who just ran over the customers cat or dog.

As to how much you can make? I can make plenty working solo. We live very comfy, and as of this coming year everything will be paid off. No we dont live in a million dollar place, but we are much happier than those who do.

Just depends on what you want out of life.