PDA

View Full Version : The Best Rotary Spreader?

The Lawn Crew
05-18-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't like Lesco's new rotary spreader. The handles are angled which I find uncomfortable; also, the handle is now longer, extending further away from the hopper, which seems to give less control.

I used to use a Scott's commercial rotary years ago. It was a good spreader, however the tires were too small.

I recently looked into this spreader to see if it's still being sold. The Andersons company has bought out Scott's commercial turf products and is offering the Scott's spreader. There are the Accupro 2000 and the SR-2000. The link is: www.andersongolfproducts.com/golf_p.asp

The Accupro 2000 is not a stainless spreader and does not have a side deflector. The SR-2000 is and does.

Scott's (The Andersons, now) spreader also has an adjustable variable "cone" underneath the hopper which is adjustable to compensate for different size material to give a very even distribution while spreading. No left or right side bias.

The only thing, like I said, about the old spreader which I didn't like was the tire size; too small. They have now corrected that with a 13-inch tire.

If the link above doesn't work, try www.anderongolfproducts.com. On the top left of the screen will be "Product Information Links"; choose "Golf Products" and scroll down and choose "Spreaders".

Any others interested in a "Group Buy"?

mr.lawnzap
05-18-2003, 02:20 PM
lesco spreaders are the best, hands down

The Lawn Crew
05-18-2003, 02:32 PM
www.andersongolfproducts.com

rob1325
05-18-2003, 03:31 PM
I also like the Lescos. Also very easy to get parts for, when in emergency (they are down the road).

rkk95
05-18-2003, 07:11 PM
If you think that Lesco spreaders are the best, then you have never used a Scotts spreader. The only thing that we use the Lesco for is spreading lime.

The Lawn Crew
05-18-2003, 07:35 PM
www.andersonsinc.com Processing Group heading and then Andersons Golf Products.

lordohturf
05-18-2003, 10:06 PM
The new Lesco spreaders have 3 different adjustments for the
handle assembly. Maybe you just need to adjust the handle
to make it more comfortable.

The Lawn Crew
05-18-2003, 10:29 PM
www.andersonsinc.com Processing Group heading and then Andersons Golf Products.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
lesco spreaders are the best, hands down

I have been using a new Scott's much better than Lesco.

This thing has the most even spread pattern I have ever seen.

It doesn't change the pattern as the day goes on like the LEsco does.

TOMMY1115
05-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Hey Lawn Crew,

What websire do you want us to go to???

:rolleyes:

The Lawn Crew
05-21-2003, 05:35 PM
www.andersonsinc.com , then click on Andersons Golf Products under the Processing Group category. This will take you to the Andersons Golf Products webpage. In the top left-hand corner will be Product Information Links. Click the box arrow to the left of Golf Products for a drop-down menue. Then select Spreaders.

CM3
05-21-2003, 06:14 PM
SR 2000 is much better than the Lesco. Even spread pattern, you can operate the side deflector on the go.

nelbuts
05-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Well.......how much is it?

walker-talker
05-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Use lesco here!

MATT

The Lawn Crew
05-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Quoted $345 for the Accupro2000 & $450 for the SR-2000. With a group buy I would think it would be lowered considerably.

The Lawn Crew
05-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Here's a pic.

jasond
05-25-2003, 05:08 PM
I agree. I purchased a new stainless Lesco this spring, and the configuration is not right...if I was a foot taller (I am 6'), it might be better. I find that the stand is always dragging. My old Lesco spreader is the baked enamel, and stands about six inches lower...other than that, the two seem identical.

grassguy_
05-26-2003, 01:03 AM
HAve used both and would have to say the Scott's spreader does spread much better. Lesco's for some reason has never seemed to correct the pattern distribution to the ports (holes) in the hopper. Always has seemed to spread more to the right than to the left even when using the adjustment for the right port which distributes to the left. Does anyone else ever notice that as well?

Mike Bradbury
05-26-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by grassguy_
HAve used both and would have to say the Scott's spreader does spread much better. Lesco's for some reason has never seemed to correct the pattern distribution to the ports (holes) in the hopper. Always has seemed to spread more to the right than to the left even when using the adjustment for the right port which distributes to the left. Does anyone else ever notice that as well?

YES! :eek:

GroundKprs
05-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Lesco spreaders do run heavy to right, but it is concentrated into one area. When a friend ran into streaking with his new Lesco a few years ago, he asked me to help calibrate it. We could not get rid of a heavy band, about 2'-4' right of center. Could get up to 50% more fert in this band, and that is where he was getting his streaking. A golf turf magazine published an article a few months later, showing the same results we got.

If you want quality distribution, the Spykers with the newer impellers (out for last 4-5 years) are great. That is the impeller with 2 curved vanes and 2 straight; the older ones have all straight vanes. Even the old Spykers could be set to distribute much more evenly than Lescos.

Can't criticize the Scotts, never calibrated one. But a trusted advisor has stated his acceptance of the Scotts, and he noted the impeller design is very similar to the Spyker's.

GroundKprs
05-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Forgot to note, on the Lesco, the streaking was on a site that was very poor soil. So the heavy band did show on this site. All his other properties did not show any streaking.

Lescos are functional, especially for those who don't take the time to calibrate their spreaders, because Lesco fert products are all labelled for use in their spreaders. But the question on this thread was the best spreader, and as far as distribution pattern, they are not the best.

Northwest
05-29-2003, 01:03 AM
I have the stainless scotts and it is a good spreader. Side deflector, positive on off. I had an earthway before and it was a pos. No positive on off, the slide plate broke after a couple months.

Lin-Z
05-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I know this is an old post but, i just started using the Andersons SR-2000 this season and I have to say it is the best I've ever used...it should be for the price I paid! I've used the Earthway C22HDSS and the Lesco 80# and out of the three I would certainly recommend the SR-2000 if you can afford it. It is extremely solid and it has an amazingly even spread pattern compaired to the other two I've used.
Now I just need Gregson-Clark to make a drop in sprayer that fits the SR-2000 hopper :-)

frotis
05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Spyker 228

http://thelawnmall.com/store/images/detailed_images/detailed_image_1507.gif

Kylec3
05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
I agree. I purchased a new stainless Lesco this spring, and the configuration is not right...if I was a foot taller (I am 6'), it might be better. I find that the stand is always dragging. My old Lesco spreader is the baked enamel, and stands about six inches lower...other than that, the two seem identical.

i have same exact problem...im 6ft maybe if i adjust handles or something it will fix the problem..havent looked into that yet

lordohturf
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
The Newer Lesco Spreaders have 3 height adjustments for the handle. You should be able to adjust it so you're not dragging ground.

americanlawn
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
We used LESCO (both sizes) for many years - tried Scotts & Andersons too. Spykers RULE. The 228 is good, but the Spyker 288 super is above & beyond all the rest (commercial grade). Been runnin' them for 3 years now -- never a breakdown, wider spread pattern, never clogs up, no pins that unexpectedly shell out, nice deflector shield, perfect spread pattern, no streaked lawns also has an "accuway" adjustment for finer prills.

IMO the Spyker 288 is like comparing a "Stihl" (professional grade) to a "Homelite" (homeowner version).

It's no wonder why the best ride-on companies use Spyker.

My 2 cents -- don't blame me when a pin shells out in the middle of a lawn. :laugh:

frotis
05-21-2009, 08:26 PM
We used LESCO (both sizes) for many years - tried Scotts & Andersons too. Spykers RULE. The 228 is good, but the Spyker 288 super is above & beyond all the rest (commercial grade). Been runnin' them for 3 years now -- never a breakdown, wider spread pattern, never clogs up, no pins that unexpectedly shell out, nice deflector shield, perfect spread pattern, no streaked lawns also has an "accuway" adjustment for finer prills.

IMO the Spyker 288 is like comparing a "Stihl" (professional grade) to a "Homelite" (homeowner version).

It's no wonder why the best ride-on companies use Spyker.

My 2 cents -- don't blame me when a pin shells out in the middle of a lawn. :laugh:

Thats a 288 Super in my post, I typed the wrong # in.

americanlawn
05-21-2009, 09:08 PM
No prob bud -- thought it looked familiar, but it lacked the deflector shield & cover. TURFCO looked at many many spreaders before deciding on one. Turned out to be the Spyker 288 (super). Best of the best IMO. :usflag:

LawnoftheMonth
05-21-2009, 09:15 PM
i wish i read this before i got my lesco

Lbilawncare
05-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Another vote for the Spyker 288 Super. I am too short for the Lesco's, although I do have an old one that is set up completely different that I don't mind using if I have to.

Lin-Z
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Has anyone had real world experience with the SR-2000 and the Spyker 288? If so; what differences did you see between the two?

frotis
05-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Here is the largest 288 Super picture I could find online.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/365351_lg.jpg

JaysLawns
05-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Ive had both the lesco ss 80lb spreader and now currently have the andersons sr2000 best spreader ever. Its definitely more heavy duty and it spreads the fert more evenly I believe then the lesco. But you are gonna pay around $550 or so for the andersons, which in my opinion is the way to go, will last forever if taken care of properly.

americanlawn
05-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Tried 'em both. Both are fine, but the Spyker spreads wider, and never breaks down. Spykers handle rough ground better, but they're heavier. For nearly 3 years, none of our Spyker spreaders have needed repairs. If you buy a Spyker, make sure to also order a cover & a deflector shield which mounts on the left side (instead of the right on LESCO's).

Has anyone had real world experience with the SR-2000 and the Spyker 288? If so; what differences did you see between the two?

Lin-Z
05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the response AmericanLawn.
Can you give me some more details on why the Spyker would handle rough ground better? They look like they are about the same width and don't they both have 13" tires?
How wide it the spread pattern on the Spyker? My SR-2000 is getting about 10 to 12'.
Are you implying that the SR-2000 had some failures? If so, what were they?
Thanks again.

Lin-Z
05-22-2009, 10:19 PM
AmericanLawn,

The SR-2000 is 27" wide and has 13 x 5.00 - 6 tires. What are the Spyker specs?

Young Bros
05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Another pin broke yesterday!!! So humid 1-2 holes kept clogging. We are switching to Spyker as soon as we can afford...maybe TruBrown will buy my 1 year old Lescos..lol

frotis
05-22-2009, 11:43 PM
You can also get a calibration tray for the spyker. So you can calibrate without having to apply.

http://www.spyker.com/calibrator_photos.jpg

Lin-Z
05-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Frotis,
You seem to be a big fan of the Spyker but I'd like to know if you've ever used the SR-2000. So far I'm not finding anything that would make the Spyker a better spreader than the SR-2000. I need objective comparison details between the two products to be convinced.

Here's a calibrator for the SR-2000 and others:
http://www.psbcompany.com/pdfs/ArcMAN.pdf

topsites
05-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Calibration :laugh:

That's almost as funny as the instructions describing how to use the various settings :laugh:

I got one setting, wide open.
That don't need calibrating nor adjusting.

Young Bros
05-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Frotis,
You seem to be a big fan of the Spyker but I'd like to know if you've ever used the SR-2000. So far I'm not finding anything that would make the Spyker a better spreader than the SR-2000. I need objective comparison details between the two products to be convinced.

I have used the SR-2000. The side deflector is a little cheesy. The spreader was great, except for the 3 hole design. I'm sick of the holes pluggin up, that is why i'm goin to try the spyker.

Lin-Z
05-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Young Bros,
Are you saying the SR-2000 holes plugged up on you? I know my Lesco would plug up a lot and the Earthway was even worse but so far this spring the SR-2000 hasn't had that issue at all.
What do the Spyker's hopper ports look like and is the agitator designed differently?
Thank you.

Lin-Z
05-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Nevermind YoungBros. I found a picture of the Spyker hopper port online. It looks like Spyker designed this unit to spread larger sized and hard to spread products (PennMulch, salt, etc...) in addition to fertilizer. I'm guessing that is why the 288 is so heavy and why the hopper is so large too.

Have you ever had large chunks of wet fertilizer fall throught this port? It looks like that could happen on the Spyker and possibly leave a burn mark on a lawn.

Also, how do you shut off one side of the pattern when you are edging with the Border Patrol shield?

frotis
05-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Frotis,

SR-2000 is a great spreader also from what I have heard, I just have never used one so I can't comment on it.

Lin-Z
05-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Okay.
Thanks Frotis.

frotis
05-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Anyone ever think of mounting one of these on thier walk behind :laugh:, at least I could keep a constant 3mph when going up slight inclines.

http://www.trealdeals.com/electronic-bicycle-speedometer-p-94.html

Young Bros
05-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Young Bros,
Are you saying the SR-2000 holes plugged up on you? I know my Lesco would plug up a lot and the Earthway was even worse but so far this spring the SR-2000 hasn't had that issue at all.
What do the Spyker's hopper ports look like and is the agitator designed differently?
Thank you.

I used a sr-2000 the season of 2005 at a previous employer. Yes it clogged often and had to bounce up and down. Today I visited Larry at American, he runs a good operation. They roll with Spyker and T3000, I loved both. The Spyker push spreader seemed to shoot wider than the Anderson or Lesco. The T3000 has a lever to cut the rate to 2/3 for the side deflector. I guess I forgot to look for it on the Spyker. The Lesco & Turf King fert we use does not have chunks. Anyone want to buy two 2008 Lesco spreaders? Then we can get some Spykers.

Lin-Z
05-24-2009, 09:37 AM
According to the manufactures, both spreaders are rated for a 12' wide swath:
SR-2000:
http://www.southernag.com/sprayer/APT8091-3_spec.pdf
Spyker:
http://www.spyker.com/288Super.pdf

Dry Weights (lbs) and Tires (in):
SR-2000 (32 lbs) (13")
Spyker (47 lbs) (13")

Young Bros
05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
According to the manufactures, both spreaders are rated for a 12' wide swath:
SR-2000:
http://www.southernag.com/sprayer/APT8091-3_spec.pdf
Spyker:
http://www.spyker.com/288Super.pdf

Dry Weights (lbs) and Tires (in):
SR-2000 (32 lbs) (13")
Spyker (47 lbs) (13")

It just seems when I used the Spyker it spreaded a little wider than Lesco & Anderson...I could be wrong.

Lin-Z
05-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Okay thanks Young Bros. I'm just trying to get down to the facts here and eliminate the "Ford vs. Chevy" mentality that is based more on emotion and pride than truth.
I know the Lesco 80# will not throw as far as the SR-2000 or the Spyker 288 so that might be what you were thinking of. The SR-2000 I have will easily throw a Lesco standard particle fertilizer 12' wide at a normal walking pace. I think a pattern that was any wider would be to hard to control on home lawns anyway.
On most three hole spreaders the operator can shut off the third hole when using the deflector shield. This will keep the spread rate the same for a half rate throwing pattern. Can you tell me how this is accomplished with the Spyker?
Thank you.

Victor
05-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Another vote for the SR2000 here. I've been using mine for years and have never had a clogging issue. Ever. I am digging that calibration tray for the Spyker though. :)

Young Bros
05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah I have used Lesco more recently. I don't know if its the humidity or what but both 3 holes clog here. My buddy used a SR2000 last year and said it still clogged all the time. Had to double check with him to make sure I was not confusing with the Lesco.

Lin-Z
05-24-2009, 11:42 PM
That's weird, there must be something else going on there with fertilizer type or storage methods. I spread a 40,000 Ft2 property in 95% humidity today with the SR-2000 and didn't have any issues at all. I use Lesco standard particle fertilizers and occasionally a bag of Scotts on my accounts and I store the unused material in 5 gallon buckets with lids inside my shop.
Now, I have seen bags or fertilizer get ruined from excessive moisture resulting from long storage times, leaving material in the hopper or storing bags outside in the elements. If they get too wet, the partilcles just stick together into big globs. I don't try to spread material like that.

Lin-Z
05-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Here's some good information on fertilizer usage and storage:
How long will fertilizers last in the package?
When stored properly, fertilizer can be used for at least 3 to 4 years. Proper storage involves keeping it in a cool, dry location. Liquid fertilizers should not be frozen. When a granular fertilizer gets wet, it becomes clumpy and is not easily spread. If wet fertilizer is spread on a lawn, there is a higher risk of fertilizer burn because the nutrients are concentrated in the clump and not spread evenly over the lawn.

Several bags of fertilizer I bought got wet in the bag. Are they still good?
It depends on what they are and how much moisture they absorbed. Fertilizer is okay if it can be crumbled into spreadable particles. If dried clumps shatter easily when you tap them with a hammer, the fertilizer is still usable. But don't try to use any fertilizer unless it's dry and pulverized into individual granules. Large chunks of fertilizer can damage grass; so if you can't spread it, don't use it.

Weed Control and Crabgrass Preventer lose their effectiveness soon after they get wet. If the product was wet when purchased, let us know or discuss the problem with your retailer.

ted putnam
05-25-2009, 01:11 AM
I've used the Lesco spreader for years using Lesco fert. Never had a problem with clogging. I operate in a high humidity environment. Most all fert contains the 3 major components N,P & K. However, in spite of what some may say, not all fert is created equal. I would never spread fert that did not have "professional" printed somewhere on the bag. Professional grade products will offer professional quality performance for you and the customer.JMO

Lin-Z
05-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I agree Ted. Clogging is simply a result of trying to spread cheap and/or wet fertilizer on a lawn. This practice should be avoided on customer properties.

I'm still trying to find out some Spyker 288 info:
1) What is the width of the unit (Outside tire to tire)?
2) How do you shut off one side of the pattern when using the border patrol?
3) Is there a handle mounted remote option for the border patrol or do you just have to kick the shield up and down with your foot?

Thank you.

Young Bros
05-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I use 13-0-5 Lesco w/ .1% Dimension. It clogs the worst cause of the chemical. I also use 32-0-10, 32-5-7 both Lesco. I also use some fert that is almost as good as Lesco for my winterizers. I would never use cheap products on my lawns.

Lin-Z
05-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Okay thanks Young Bros. Dimension is very bad stuff and if you're having trouble spreading it you might try switching to corn gluten meal. It's an all natural pre-emergent and it won't harm you or your customers. Even at .1% (which is only 0.8oz per 50 lb bag) you are subjecting yourself to serious potential health hazards later in life. Be careful with that stuff Amigo (wear lots of PPE).

Dimension MSDS excerpt:
Chronic: Repeated overexposure to the active ingredient in this material can cause the following: Kidney effects, liver effects, blood effects, thyroid damage, adrenal effects.

treemonkey
05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
When you guys talk of "spread width" of 10 or 12 feet, is this the distance of the pattern from edge to edge, or, the distance you run the spreader rows apart. There's a difference.

IE. does 12 ft spread mean it throws 6 ft. to each side. Or, you run the spreader at 12' apart and the material might spread 8 or more feet to each side for overlap?

Confused?

frotis
05-26-2009, 09:08 PM
When you guys talk of "spread width" of 10 or 12 feet, is this the distance of the pattern from edge to edge, or, the distance you run the spreader rows apart. There's a difference.

IE. does 12 ft spread mean it throws 6 ft. to each side. Or, you run the spreader at 12' apart and the material might spread 8 or more feet to each side for overlap?

Confused?

12' is 6' out of each side.

treemonkey
05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
So, if you do the 100% overlap or wheelmark to wheelmark pattern(recommended by many), you are only walking your spreader 6 or 7 feet apart between rows with a 12 ft. spread.

Is this correct?

If so, the JD/Lesco guy I talked to was full of beans. He told me you only overlap about 1 ft. of pattern in the middle. So with a 12 ft spread machine (6 ft. on each side) you would walk about 11 ft. apart.

Lin-Z
05-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Treemonkey,
It's too much to type but this link might help you out. The amount of overlap will depend on your spreader model and how it is calibrated (See link below). The most reliable way to spread (to avoid streaks and burns) is to apply at a 50% rate in a cross hatched pattern. Be certain you know if your spreader spreads heavy to one side as this will affect the overlap on both sides. It is also very helpful to know the square footage of the lawn before hand and measure out your fertilizer into the hopper plus 10%. You should should be close to empty when you finish the lawn or the measured area you are treating.

http://turfgrassmanagement.psu.edu/calibrating_your_fertilizer_spreader.cfm

frotis
05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
So, if you do the 100% overlap or wheelmark to wheelmark pattern(recommended by many), you are only walking your spreader 6 or 7 feet apart between rows with a 12 ft. spread.

Is this correct?

If so, the JD/Lesco guy I talked to was full of beans. He told me you only overlap about 1 ft. of pattern in the middle. So with a 12 ft spread machine (6 ft. on each side) you would walk about 11 ft. apart.

Assuming the spreader is putting out 6 feet to each side, I would try to walk so I get around 1 foot overlap around 11 feet between passes. It all depends on the material and walking speed. You have to determine your affective swath width.