PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Removal

Scag48
05-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey guys. My grandpa is removing some concrete and dirt to put in a slab of concrete. The concrete is a little narrower than a sidewalk. It's a like a dual tire path for a car to his garage. The area is about 20 feet long by 8 feet wide. Now, that's quite a bit of concrete and fill to move to make way for the slab. I have a couple questions, actually. First, how deep should i dig down for concrete? I was thinking about 5 inches, should that be sufficient for a slab? Second, what kind of equipment would you suggest? I was thinkin a mini-X, but I'm not sure if I'll clear the sideboards of a dump truck. The excavator I had in mind was JD's new 27C ZTS. My local rentals just got it, along with a new Deere 240 skid steer and a JD 110 TLB with thumb on the backhoe. I thought about taking a hyd hammer and busting up the concrete with a skid steer and then switch over the to bucket to load the chunks into the truck. The mini x doesn't have a hammer, so I'd have to lift 700 lb sections of concrete 9 feet high with a mini x, which I don't think it will handle that. My grandpa wants to do this the most cost efficient way, so I figured I'll trade something for the use of a dump truck. I haven't been able to find anyone with a dump insert in a P/U so that's out of the question, otherwise I wouldn't have this problem. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

Lawnboy5
05-18-2003, 09:34 PM
get a skidsteer with forks on it to remove the old concrete and then use a bucket with teeth and dig 6" deep. After that you have to frame it out and then put in 2" of 3\4" TB and concrete on top of that. Very easy job to do if you have the right tools.

BSDeality
05-18-2003, 10:00 PM
a bucket loader with forks would work like scag48 said, so will a good ole fashioned chain with a backhoe or loader. We just finished moving about a ton, well more like 20 tons :) of concrete walk (3-5" thick) from around our old 16'x32' pool. We used a Kubota L35 frontend loader/backhoe with 2 large chains to move most of them. they were between 800-1500# each depending on the size. We dug a big pit along side the pool and backfilled over them to raise the grade up.

As for new concrete, i think i'd go with 4" of 3/4" or 1" gravel for underneath.

Lawnboy5
05-18-2003, 11:08 PM
what did you use chains for?

BSDeality
05-18-2003, 11:29 PM
we got them around the slabs and hoisted them into the holes we dug for them. 2 chains for the really big pieces, 1 for the smaller sized ones.

Scag48
05-19-2003, 02:52 AM
Thanks guys! Never thought about pallet forks. Seems that'll be the best way to go. I'm gonna let my grandpa figure out how much gravel he needs underneath, I'm just the operator. Thanks again!

earthtool
05-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Scag, Go to concrete.com, there you will find "Dr. Concrete" , a great source for these type of questions. If you are a first timer with concrete I would suggest that you find a concrete guy in your area that will at least help you with the finish work. Maybe you could trade some labor. Good Luck.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
05-20-2003, 12:50 AM
We just finished a job similar to this. We rented an electric demolition hammer, kind of like an electric jackhammer then scooped it into a dump truck. The hammer went through 4-6" of concrete better than expected.

Scag48
05-20-2003, 01:24 AM
Hey guys. Found out today that the 240 skid steer probably won't lift high enough to make it into a tri axle dump truck. I have no other options, except to use a crappy trailer we have that has a tilt and just put the concrete on there and take a ton of trips to dump all the dirt and etc. Would take forever, but seems to be the only way. Unless I rented a full out JD 310SE backhoe, which would be seriously overkill for such a small job. They told me it was only $125 for 4 hours, same price as a skid steer for 4 hours. Pretty cheap actually, but I could have some problems rounding up a contractor with a truck. Anyway, keep the ideas coming guys!

earthtool
05-20-2003, 02:47 AM
Okay...... lets walk through this one more time, maybe I like many others are a little confused as to why you can not call a Rubbish and Garbage Removal Service and have a 10 or 20 yard Roll-Off Dumpster delivered to your site? If you have the budget for a tri-axle then one days rental on a dumpster can not be far off. Here again just a shot in the dark and not trying to sound like a smart a--. You can still use the 240 as this thing sits on the ground and can't be more than 6' tall at the sides and...I bet it has double doors that swing open on the back end so that if you use a short ramp you could even drive the skid steer right up in the dumpster if you wanted to. Email me I will be happy to help you with this. LOL